Razor Or Electric?

ronburgundy

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 17d

For 15 or so years, I've shaved using a razor. Gillette Mach 3 I think, with it's patented 21 blade system.

Lately, I've been considering making the switch to an electric.

My one experience with an electric shaver was not a good one. Admittedly it was probably not a very new, or good one (it was left behind my my then-girlfriend's ex-boyfriend so I figured what the heck I'll give it a go), but it left me a bit red and didn't cut particularly close.

Obviously there is much that will really just come down to personal preference, but I'd love to hear what you guys think are the relative pros and cons of each.

Some thoughts/questions I have:

- Is it THAT much quicker to shave with an electric shaver over using a razor?

- Do the modern electrics catch the hair rather than dropping it (so I could potentially shave in morning traffic a la Mr Bean)

- Is the old Remington line "as close as a blade or your money back" actually true?

If anyone has made the jump, in either direction for that matter, I'd love to hear why they did it beerchug.gif

• Member For: 13y 10m 1d

I admit I jumped from razor to electric simply because I have real sensitive skin. I mean REAL sensitive. Using a razor I'd get a fair amount of shaving rash, regardless of how much moisturiser I used. I figured I spent close to $500 a year on shaving cream and razors so I invested in a $700 electric razor that needs new heads every 2 years or so.

Best thing I ever did! Because there's no blades actually cutting the skin, I no longer get shaving rash. Don't need shaving cream but you still need to use an after shave balm or it gets a bit tender. Also if you do make the jump, ensure that you use it straight for 6 weeks! The first few weeks you don't get a good shave because your skin isn't used to it since you've spent years hacking at it with razor blades. After 6 weeks though you'll notice a world of difference.

I can't recommend the jump highly enough. I know it's only shaving but for someone like me who gets razor burn a lot!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 1m 18d

Honestly, I have been using a blade for years and love the closeness it gets. On some occasions you do get cuts so I have to be careful. For my bday, my mrs bought me a nice electric re-chargeble. I was like you, have they made any advancement as I havent bought one for probably 15 years. Ok first shave, left it for about 5 days so a fair bit had to come off as I had a few days off work and the weekend so didnt need to shave until monday morning. Result, shocking. Once my skin heats up and sweats especially on my neck, it gets no-where. So out comes the blade. I find, if I want a quick and easy every day shave then the electric is fine, but if its been a while, definately need a blade as the electric won't do the job properly.

• I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 23d

As above I have real sensitive skin and always got a rash and ingrowns on my chin and throat using a razor.. I've been using an electric for 6 years now.. But,, I only use the clippers part that springs out,, I don't like a clean shave so I can still see abit of stubble.. I stopped shaving for a year and just started 2 months ago and it feels weird lol

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 26d

I've made the switch about three or four times and always regret wasting money on the bloody things.

If you use one daily then it's barely OK, but it's never the close shave that is promised and you've got the 5 o'clock shadow by the time you actually get to work.

I'd say it takes allot longer to use electric as it's not just a case of once-over...usually have to stand there rubbing the fckn thing backwards and forwards half a dozen times to get everything. And yeah the latest purchase (phillips I think) catches the hair and then you pop the top and rinse it out.

So I dunno if it's a case of not spending enough on a super-duper decent one, max I've spent is about $300 from memory, or if they are just all sh*t. But give it another twelve months or so and I'll see one on special and think what a great idea it will be to try again. :Doh:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 26d

This really has to do with personal preference and your type of beard and skin sensitivity.

I own a very expensive electric (Braun) and it does a great job. It does shave as close as a blade, but I can only use it in winter. In the summer it just irritates the hell out of my face and neck and it isn't any faster. Actually, it takes me longer to use the electric.

I find it faster and more comfortable to use a Gilette Fusion razor with Nivea For Men, Anti-irritant Shave Gel.

My wife prefers the shave I get with a blade, and that's all that really matters!

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members

The time factor is interesting... I certainly wouldn't want to take LONGER put it that way!

I shave daily and am a suit so I can't afford to have 5 o clock shadow as I get to work.

I also happened to be at my local Good Guys (where I've funded the owner's school tuition fees for the next 10 years) and there seem to be some cheap, some expensive obviously... and some have satisfaction guarantees etc...

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 26d

I guess Turbonator hits the head on the nail...all comes down to how your beard grows I suppose.

If there's satisfaction guarantees on offer then that's probably the best way to find out.

PS: Change your avi too ya farkin turncoat :talktohand:

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members

I'm living in the past crybaby.gif

And what a good past it was.

You prefer I have a nice close up of a VW emblem?!

Or of my beast in all of its turbo- and super-charged glory roflmbo.gif