Zf Issues - Anyone Had/got These?

Pete A

• Resident idiot.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 30d

What advantage is there to having it tuned out? I actually like the sound and surely that much torque during s change must be bad.. Although I'm not hearing alot about breaking anything because of it.

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

4. Lastly sometimes pulling up to a stop and moving away quickly, it doesn't think to engauge 1st gear before I accelerate, then all of a sudden takes 1st. This only happens occasionally and again mainly when cold.

Cheers

Yeah mine does this routinely as I leave home. Either use manual mode, take the corner faster or come to a complete stop (stop sign style) to avoid it.

http://www.thelurch.com/lurching_zf_transmission.htm

It is very uncomfortable as a passenger I imagine. That first gear is a real slingshot if you're giving it more throttle thinking it's staying in second.

PS original oil, 115,000 and 300rwkw since September last year. Lurch was always there!

Edited by -SteveR-

• Member For: 15y 4m 16d

OK, had a yelling (sort of) match with Power Ford. Got the car back, they said they found nothing wrong with it and that it "performs as all ZF's perform." However they did say they checked the fluid and levels and they were fine. I guess that's something. They updated the program (like they always do) and that's it. Well it was about 40Deg outside at the itime and became 40 Deg inside pretty quick as well as I told them that this was bullsh*t and there is a problem with my gearbox and that "when" I call them in a few days and tell them the same problem is there - I'll bring the bloody place down. I told them when I booked it in that - "most of the probelms I have, except for the surging, mainly happen when the car is cold" The guys stated well it's hot now and we couldn't see the fault"! What a moron! I said so what happens "when" not if I call to say it's still doing it? He says well then you'll have to leave it overnight. So I said OK. You can have the farking car for a week if you want - just give me a loaner but don't tell me there's nothing wrong with the car.

Anyway. I'll know tomorrow if it's fixed on not - but I'm not optimisitic. I post my finding tomorrowish. Cheers

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 11d

Since changing to Transmax I get surging when the box is cold. I changed the oil after about 2000 km and seemed fine, but after another 10K it's surging again. Never had this issue on standard oil. Might change back and just change it every 10K or so.

Any other options other than Transmax?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 4m 16d

Have had a couple of chats with the Service Manager (he actually emailed me on a Sunday) and gave the usual stock excuses. It's going in next week overnight so they can check the cold surging problem out. He said he was contacting ZF about the supposed fix for the surging complaints but he was not aware of it at the time.

Who out there has been told that a fix is coming from ZF and who told you?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

its all ford bullsh*te dude pass the buck till its out of warranty just change the oil as others are recomending itl be best for it but ford wont cover the costs :bangcomputer:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 11m

OK, had a yelling (sort of) match with Power Ford. Got the car back, they said they found nothing wrong with it and that it "performs as all ZF's perform." However they did say they checked the fluid and levels and they were fine. I guess that's something. They updated the program (like they always do) and that's it. Well it was about 40Deg outside at the itime and became 40 Deg inside pretty quick as well as I told them that this was bullsh*t and there is a problem with my gearbox and that "when" I call them in a few days and tell them the same problem is there - I'll bring the bloody place down. I told them when I booked it in that - "most of the probelms I have, except for the surging, mainly happen when the car is cold" The guys stated well it's hot now and we couldn't see the fault"! What a moron! I said so what happens "when" not if I call to say it's still doing it? He says well then you'll have to leave it overnight. So I said OK. You can have the farking car for a week if you want - just give me a loaner but don't tell me there's nothing wrong with the car.

Anyway. I'll know tomorrow if it's fixed on not - but I'm not optimisitic. I post my finding tomorrowish. Cheers

Mine is doing the same thing. Fg xr turbo 30000 mms. Had to leave it at Peter Warren for a week. Wrote them clear instructions on the problem and how it occured ie: when it is cold. After a week and a total waste of my time they said that the computer was not showing faults and they could not find any issues. F&$kwits. The car experienced the same issue when leaving the dealership.

I am sick of the car. New diff at 1200kms. New Turbo at 2500kms and now the gearbox is f*#ked. Should have bought a hilux.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 26d

There seems to be a fair few FG's breaking or needing parts replaced with low kms...not a good sign...hopefully by the time I upgrade to the fg f6 all the bugs will be ironed out....:rockon: