Zf Issues - Anyone Had/got These?

Pete A

• Member For: 15y 3m 25d

Hey guys,

Going in for 30K service Wednesday and I've noticed the ZF doing a couple of strange things. Anyone else had these problems. They are not bad, but certainly not ther 6 months ago.

1. It's starting to surge slightly when coming to a stop and it slips into 1st gear. Not bad but very slowly getting worse. I've seen the forums about bad surging before which sounds a lot worse than I've got.

2.When cold and starting to roll forward out of the garage, the tranny seems to stutter in and out of action for the first 10-15 seconds. After that it's fine.

3. If I'm facing up a fairly steep driveway and I slowly creep up the drive and release the accelerator, it disengages 1st nad rolls back until I break or hit the accelerator slightly (did I read somewhere that they are designed to do this? I think it's dangerous if you're not used to it)

4. Lastly sometimes pulling up to a stop and moving away quickly, it doesn't think to engauge 1st gear before I accelerate, then all of a sudden takes 1st. This only happens occasionally and again mainly when cold.

Cheers

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 26d

Mine's doing that & I've only done 20,000 kms. Apparently just an oil change will fix it but I'm getting a rebuild too (just to be on the safe side with my current power level).

Ford don't seem to think the trans fluid needs changing at all. I'd hate to see one that'd done 80,000 on the original stuff. :pooh:

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 9d

mine started having intermitent issues manually down changing from 3rd to 2nd at 25000ks with 300+ rwkw.

Flush,change of filter and some Transmax Z good as new. Change mine every 15-20 ks

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 20d

Mine's doing that & I've only done 20,000 kms. Apparently just an oil change will fix it but I'm getting a rebuild too (just to be on the safe side with my current power level).

Ford don't seem to think the trans fluid needs changing at all. I'd hate to see one that'd done 80,000 on the original stuff. :pooh:

Mine has done 115,000k's and it seems fine on the original oil (I think), it all comes down to how you treat it and the how much power is running through it.

I will agree with you in saying that it will probably be a good idea to get it serviced though. Like anything mechanical its bound to fail sometime.

• Hitting the apex
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 10d

mate you may even find it just needs a bit more fluid, when the level drops from checking the oil it does this kind of thing also

id top it up with what ever ford uses on a level ground so its spilling right out when you plug it back up and if that's no good get a new pan and fill it with transmax z

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 10m 17d

I though mine was short shifting between second a third the other day (in performance mode) but I think it was just the heat. Took it out at night in cooler conditions and it shifted fine. Given mine has been tuned, I'll change the fluid at some point but the car has only done 7000k's. As a side, how many have had the 'fart' (torque cut) tuned out? Most don't recommend as it keeps full torque up its arse whilst attempting to shift cogs. Mine seems to flutter a bit more whilst selecting 3rd post tune, but still swaps cogs quickly. My tuner wanted to keep it which I agreed with. I think from memory it may not cut 1st to 2nd but not sure.

Edited by bomber