Reality Check

F6 UTE

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 17d

I'm a great fan of self-selection or darwin theory or whatever it is...but it's a very worthy discussion I reckon.

The Darwin Theory is great....that is until you realise that it is an unfortunate fact that it is not always an inanimate object such as a power pole that is the "other party" in such crashes. It can just as easily be a family!

I dont know the facts surrounding the crash in the OP so my comments are more generalised. What owners of ANY motor vehicle need to get their heads around (and this is even more encumbent on those with modified and/or high powered cars) is that we have a duty of care.

There was a case here in NZ recently where a young bloke in a WRX crashed, killing his passenger. He had hit a diesel spill....that was not disputed. Nonetheless he was doing (by his own admission) about 120 in a 70 zone, around a corner signposted 55kph.

It is unquestionable that the diesel spill was a causal factor in the crash however at sentencing the judge was clear that whilst diesel was a causal factor in the crash, speed was the causal factor in the injuries sustained.

I am also interested in the discussion regarding tuners. I fully agree that it is unrealistic for a tuner to turn away work based on age or experience of the paying customer. I do however know of one highly experienced tuner in Auckland who will not provide performance enhancement unless relevant upgrades and/or maintenance are done to suspension and brakes. The interesting spin off is that many of his customers are attending track days and running rings around other cars with significantly more power....the difference being suspension and brakes.

Interesting stuff.

• Member For: 15y 8m 23d

I can put my hand on my heart and say if I was able to buy a car like I have right now or even my BA (340+ atw) I would have killed myself before the age of 20... Not really a funny thing to think about but even learning to drive in a MY99 wrx really didn't give me any extra understanding for how a high powered car can react when treated with negligence...

It took me a great while to learn how dangerous an automobile can be and ever since I wrote my first car off (E21 BWM) I have not had 1 traffic infringement which is now around 9 years later. It took an event that almost killed myself and 2 other Innocent people to help me realize that the car isn't really the weapon its the driver. I have since owned many fast cars and like I said have a very clean record I just hope the younger blokes out there don't have to go through what I have, to understand that we are lucky to have these cars and there is always the right time and place in which to use them.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 7d

Some pics from when it was in the impound yard. This thing was nearly identical to my T.

8528_1237082484397_1149284597_75471.jpg

8528_1237082524398_1149284597_75471.jpg

8528_1237082564399_1149284597_75471.jpg

8528_1237082604400_1149284597_75471.jpg

8528_1237082644401_1149284597_75471.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 7d

Lol, cars been parted out now, a mate has most of it in his garage.