Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 6m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

I'm alright...just watching some tv. Spent today playing with trigonometry...I dislike trigonometry...

How's mini panda going? Recovering?

  • I <3 Floods
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 2m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South West QLD
Posted

Yeah he's doing well.. I had a few hours break from caring duties and went out for dinner with a friend tonight.. That was nice..

Why do you hate trigonometry?

It's really quite easy provided you remember your little rhymes..

Some Old Hags Can't Always Hide Their Old Age..

  • All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 6m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

That's good, glad to hear he's on the mend and you're getting some of your own recovery time.

SOHCAHTOA is easy, it's this kind of stuff I was playing with:

http://www.drillingformulas.com/radius-of-curvature-method/

That was ok by itself, but when comparing the calculations I setup in excel brought to light that they don't match what gets plotted by our 3D software package...despite it saying it uses a certain Desurvey method (which I then calculated each point in excel using that method, correctly too coz I double checked)...so I'm going to email the company in the morning to ask how the program actually calculates the xyz data.

  • Expert
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: North Jamberoo, NSW
Posted

At work trying hard to stay awake.

  • I <3 Floods
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 2m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South West QLD
Posted

Morning all..

Yeah stripes that ain't fun.. The biggest one for me would be knowing how the data gets into the 3D software.. If it's fed in straight from the survey equipment there ain't much that can go wrong..

If it's post processed there is a huge margin for operator error..

What 3D software are you using?

  • 777
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 8m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Neutral Bay. Born and Bred in the RSA
Posted

Sooooo...how's everybody doin?

Freezing my bolacks off!

  • All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 6m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted (edited)

I'll email Maptek today, we're using Vulcan.

Essentially the data we have from drilling is like the example in the link I posted but with surveys taken every 20m over the length of the hole. Oh and I've converted to radians in the spreadsheet (used the radians function).

I woke up with a thought this morning though (my life is sad). The data gets spit out into a CSV file, so it gets truncated to how ever many decimal places are visible in the original spreadsheet when the CSV saves. So in this case it's truncating to 1 decimal place, which is what Vulcan then sees and calculates from. So I'll play with that this morning and see what difference that makes.

Edited by .Stripes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...