ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 18d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 03/12/07 01:56 AM Posted 03/12/07 01:56 AM Bobkat,Your views on this subject are interesting. The discussion is about fixed speedcameras, not hoons or street racing.Fixed speed cameras serve only 2 things. Revenue and perception of action by governments. For a government they are a win / win situation. You can make money for nothing and be seen to be trying to reduce the roadtoll. It has been proven that governments rarely install them in blackspots, but where many people are known to exceed the posted limit, like downhills. Fixed speedcameras cause many rear end accidents as people are too busy looking at their speedo and not the road.We are also being taught that as soon as you exceed the posted speedlimit, you will die. This is called speed conditioning and is extreamly dangerous. People will then always drive at the speedlimit and not to the conditions.Your example of where you killed the pedestrian, had nothing to do with excessive speed. It was the pedestrians fault for running onto the road and not looking. Yes it sounds like an awfull series of incidents that lead to you hitting them, but did you think that IF you had been doing the speedlimit, you would have been ahead of the kids and father ?You cannot look at that accident as a reason for not exceeding the speedlimit.I have done numerous trackdays and held a CAMS competition license for 20 years. I do still exceed the speedlimit on the road, but only to suite the conditions. Why should I drive at 100km/h on a 3 lane highway with a center divider at 3am when I am the only car. 120-140 could be a safe speed in these conditions, but according to the fixed speedcamera, I am a criminal and will be booked regardless.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 18d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 03/12/07 02:15 AM Posted 03/12/07 02:15 AM common sense is the problem.There is the problem....We're not all young guys here Chops theres a lot of us oldfarts about....some of us just havent been brainwashed .....yet....
Evil F6 Legacy Donating Member 830 Member For: 20y 8m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 03/12/07 07:01 AM Posted 03/12/07 07:01 AM Just the standard Gov Cop out. Adding more speed cameras makes money, fixing the real problem costs money and the Governments always take the easy way out.At least with a fixed camera, you know its there. A little while back I had a stop over in Cairns, was walking out and about and I passed a automatic speed tax machine in the guise of a Black 4x4.The operator of the camera had placed the camera in use sign right in front of the left hand side of 4x4 and parallel to the road so the only person that could see it where pedestrians.Hidden signs and stealth cameras dont slow people down they just make money.At least in the NT speed vans are easy to spot and slow you down, saying this I got pinged by one yesterday going around a slower car.My list of thing to bring down the road toll.1. better driver training and harder test.(you must be able to read English)2. Retesting every 5 years and if you where at fault in an accident3. better engineered and maintained roads.4. Serial DUI offenders have their car confiscated, if its good enough for Hoons.5. Stronger road worthy tests and more often.6. stronger penalties for tailgating (the biggest cause of accidents) Can we have a tailgating camera working on distance vs speed.Its been proven that speeding (driving over the posted limit) only causes 2% of accidents, where as excessive speed (not driving to the conditions) causes a lot more.Stop clouding the issue with facts - it'll come to nought.
Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 15d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 03/12/07 07:27 AM Posted 03/12/07 07:27 AM But I want to speed, I am aware its aginst the law and I do not particulary care. I have my morals and probably drive slower and are more courteous than the vast majority of drivers. I find the current state of roads poor and the enforced laws draconian and without any seemingly applied logic. If the government really cared about unsafe speeding it would employ more police, least then there is human element. Cameras are cheap, there is no debating the issue (believe it or not sometimes there is a justified reason for a certain activity), and they raise money and sh*t loads of it.By the way I am 36 so I dont know whether that puts me in the old or young braket.Cameras suck, if you must employ police.Scotty
RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 26d Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 03/12/07 08:06 AM Posted 03/12/07 08:06 AM Cameras suck, if you must employ police.ScottyThe sad thing is Scotty is that they are taking more Police off the street and into cubby holes. Ie School Liasion Police. They have the exhaustive task of going to schools and talking. Police also have another cubby hole. Youth Liason Officer. Can you see the similarities??
Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 15d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 03/12/07 08:38 AM Posted 03/12/07 08:38 AM Not quite sure what you are trying to say Revheadrobbo, I guess they have their reasons. Scotty
RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 26d Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 03/12/07 08:44 AM Posted 03/12/07 08:44 AM What im trying to say is that its all well and good for the Gov to say we need more cops but because the cops are creating these new positions (which I call cubby holes) they are taking more cops off the street.
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 24d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 03/12/07 08:55 AM Posted 03/12/07 08:55 AM Robbo these are the jobs cops should be doing, being part of the community. There should be more cops out on the street , in patrol cars waiting for the call for real cop jobs not sitting behind a bush making money for the state.
RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 26d Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 03/12/07 09:00 AM Posted 03/12/07 09:00 AM Robbo these are the jobs cops should be doing, being part of the community. There should be more cops out on the street , in patrol cars waiting for the call for real cop jobs not sitting behind a bush making money for the state.72Sorry mate I wasnt referring to Highway patrol. I was talking about General Duties cops. I would love to see more cops on walking down the street and driving around
BobKat Member 34 Member For: 18y 10m 8d Gender: Male Location: Springwood QLD Posted 03/12/07 10:09 AM Posted 03/12/07 10:09 AM But I want to speed, I am aware its aginst the law and I do not particulary care. I have my morals and probably drive slower and are more courteous than the vast majority of drivers. I find the current state of roads poor and the enforced laws draconian and without any seemingly applied logic. If the government really cared about unsafe speeding it would employ more police, least then there is human element. Cameras are cheap, there is no debating the issue (believe it or not sometimes there is a justified reason for a certain activity), and they raise money and sh*t loads of it.By the way I am 36 so I dont know whether that puts me in the old or young braket.Cameras suck, if you must employ police.Scotty36 you have a foot in both camps and lean back and forth. Chops
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now