How To Do It

Ninka

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 9m 13d

When I cleaned my screen I had a look see under a pretty powerful microscope at work. It was still quite clogged. I then threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner, which helped a bit but there was still evidence of metal in the screen when looked at through a microscope. I would suggest replacing that screen every time instead of cleaning it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d
I wonder how quickly it gets blocked? and how much do the screens cost? might have to harrass the spare parts boys again!

The screen can't be purchased separately, but only as part of the entire fitting.

Cost last time was about $65.

The biggest hassle is not the cost, but to actually get to it, and changing it without breaking it, as it has virtually no material thickness between the inside circlip holding the screen in place, and the outside thread for the oil pressure sensor (I've had 2 of these break on my car, one at delivery, and one during a change).

I'm going to remove the screen and get a bigger inline filter (like mentioned by Luke earlier in this thread), which can be placed in a more service friendly location, and also has a much bigger surface area.

I hope to not repeat this exercise :spoton:

Edited by Ninka

• Member For: 16y 9m 26d

sorry about the bad news. and glad that you have got is sorted so quickly. let us know how you proceed with oil supply screen filter. sounds like a good idea to relocate to a more accessible position and using better parts.

good luck.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 5d

that sounds good luke. 100$ is worth it imo to get easy access.

how hard will it be to get a replacement bit of pipe for where the screen currently is, or will you just use the same fitting but without a screen in that bit. please let me know when you plan to have a go at it and I will come up and pass the spanners!

not good to hear that after only 10k there is no oil coming down the line allan! that is a real worry.. not much would be getting through mine which is 80k old :ermm:

• Member For: 20y 11m 26d

I've had turbos for over 15 years and never a failed turbo and I dont use filters on most turbo setups. Just high quality synthetic oil changed every 10K km and a clean engine to start off with.

Get rid of the filter, its not really needed.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d
Get rid of the filter, its not really needed.

Not wishing to start a sh!t fight, but if the filter that's there is clogged up doesn't that indicate the need for a filter?

I can't imagine these guys using crap oil and only changing it every 15thou kms.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d
Not wishing to start a sh!t fight, but if the filter that's there is clogged up doesn't that indicate the need for a filter?

I can't imagine these guys using crap oil and only changing it every 15thou kms.

I guess there will always be small particles of impurities in the engine oil, but I doubt it would be sufficient to damage the bearing in the turbo, and a slightly noisy bearing is better than a total failure because the screen gets plugged.

The problem is that the screen is way too small, and located in an area where servicing is really difficult, so an alternative filter would be a good insurance measure, though not an absolute necessity.

• Member For: 21y 3m 20d
The problem is that the screen is way too small, and located in an area where servicing is really difficult, so an alternative filter would be a good insurance measure, though not an absolute necessity.

I'll be very interested to see what you boys come up with in terms up an alternative location for the screen...

With all the threads (and now this one) relating to turbo failue I'm getting nervious. I'm probably just out of my league to change the current screen setup :stirthepot: