Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 7m 4d
  • Location: Toowoomba
Posted
Having come from the awd turbo 4 community...

My opinions 

XR Downsides-

Big car

big lag ( comparo to wot I had )

no down low thump

no 6k launch

no handling

taxi look

runs out of puff

AWD Downsides

Small car

some lag

no torque

crap clutch

'racer boy' image

long drives are painfull

XR upsides

roomy

comfortable

torque

potential ( edit )

manual is a good box, smooth and strong

AWD upsides

6k launches

6k launches

6k launches

7.5k launches ( put your eyeballs back in...)

Handling

braking

did I mention something about an awd launch?????

Me- well I miss the awd for what it was and was glad to see it go for those exact same reasons. ( not the handling though.. )

Horses for courses, what u gonna use it 4??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have to strongly dissagree with you on the lag thing there, the xr6T gets on boost alot quicker than any turbo car I have ever been in before.

Dazza.

  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Strapped in and holding on
Posted
Have to strongly dissagree with you on the lag thing there, the xr6T gets on boost alot quicker than any turbo car I have ever been in before.

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I quoted, my experience is that my old car boosted at 1500rpm, 17 psi @ 2200rpm untill 8k redline..

different car, better response than a 't' anyday of the week..

I'll leave it at that.

  • Site protagonist
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: At the lights, waiting for you.
Posted

Have to strongly dissagree with you on the lag thing there, the xr6T gets on boost alot quicker than any turbo car I have ever been in before.

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I quoted, my experience is that my old car boosted at 1500rpm, 17 psi @ 2200rpm untill 8k redline..

different car, better response than a 't' anyday of the week..

I'll leave it at that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm thinking that your old car wasn't completely standard. If that's the case it's not really a fair comparison.

My car which isn't standard comes on boost very early too and has no noticable lag. I don't think any reasonable person would say thatbthe XR6T has a lag problem compared to any of the smaller engined Turbos.

Geea. :tosser:

  • Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 7m 4d
  • Location: Toowoomba
Posted

Have to strongly dissagree with you on the lag thing there, the xr6T gets on boost alot quicker than any turbo car I have ever been in before.

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I quoted, my experience is that my old car boosted at 1500rpm, 17 psi @ 2200rpm untill 8k redline..

different car, better response than a 't' anyday of the week..

I'll leave it at that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What sort of car was it, I dont think you mentioned.

Dazza.

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
Having come from the awd turbo 4 community...

My opinions 

XR Downsides-

Big car

big lag ( comparo to wot I had )

no down low thump

no 6k launch

no handling

taxi look

runs out of puff

AWD Downsides

Small car

some lag

no torque

crap clutch

'racer boy' image

long drives are painfull

XR upsides

roomy

comfortable

torque

potential ( edit )

manual is a good box, smooth and strong

AWD upsides

6k launches

6k launches

6k launches

7.5k launches ( put your eyeballs back in...)

Handling

braking

did I mention something about an awd launch?????

Me- well I miss the awd for what it was and was glad to see it go for those exact same reasons. ( not the handling though.. )

Horses for courses, what u gonna use it 4??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have to strongly dissagree with you on the lag thing there, the xr6T gets on boost alot quicker than any turbo car I have ever been in before.

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many people talk about rexes as if they're all the same: there are broadly 4 different groups of rexes:

1. 96 and earlier: easy to mod; bigger turbo; modified with exhaust and boost they go very well

2 97-00 smaller 'old shape' and lighter; many of these on the road (98 version the fastest stock)

3. 01-02 bug eyed heavy slugs; no bragging rights if you beat a 01 (that has a poor gearing); if your stock can't beat a stock 01 hang your head in shame

4. 03-05 with variable valve timing, these will boost a lot quicker than the Ford T (I know because at one stage I had a stock MY03 and Ford T and drove them back to back all the time) 0-100k the rex marginally quicker; The rex also runs higher compression 9.0-1, making them feel more responsive.

The Ford has better mid-range and top end torque.

Brian

  • Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 7m 4d
  • Location: Toowoomba
Posted
Having come from the awd turbo 4 community...

My opinions 

XR Downsides-

Big car

big lag ( comparo to wot I had )

no down low thump

no 6k launch

no handling

taxi look

runs out of puff

AWD Downsides

Small car

some lag

no torque

crap clutch

'racer boy' image

long drives are painfull

XR upsides

roomy

comfortable

torque

potential ( edit )

manual is a good box, smooth and strong

AWD upsides

6k launches

6k launches

6k launches

7.5k launches ( put your eyeballs back in...)

Handling

braking

did I mention something about an awd launch?????

Me- well I miss the awd for what it was and was glad to see it go for those exact same reasons. ( not the handling though.. )

Horses for courses, what u gonna use it 4??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have to strongly dissagree with you on the lag thing there, the xr6T gets on boost alot quicker than any turbo car I have ever been in before.

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many people talk about rexes as if they're all the same: there are broadly 4 different groups of rexes:

1. 96 and earlier: easy to mod; bigger turbo; modified with exhaust and boost they go very well

2 97-00 smaller 'old shape' and lighter; many of these on the road (98 version the fastest stock)

3. 01-02 bug eyed heavy slugs; no bragging rights if you beat a 01 (that has a poor gearing); if your stock can't beat a stock 01 hang your head in shame

4. 03-05 with variable valve timing, these will boost a lot quicker than the Ford T (I know because at one stage I had a stock MY03 and Ford T and drove them back to back all the time) 0-100k the rex marginally quicker; The rex also runs higher compression 9.0-1, making them feel more responsive.

The Ford has better mid-range and top end torque.

Brian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But based on that Brian, you couldnt say the T has big lag even compared to the VVT model rex's, I would assume there is also a better quality turbo in the newer cars to the older ones.

Dazza.

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
But based on that Brian, you couldnt say the T has big lag even compared to the VVT model rex's, I would assume there is also a better quality turbo in the newer cars to the older ones.

Dazza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I can; I've owned & driven both back to back.

Technically, as both don't have a boost gauge I can't say how quickly both come on boost.

But as far as launching the car goes the 03 rex with the combination of ecu changes and awd make it much easier to get going. Once going the Fords abundant torque gives it superiority.

Brian

  • FG Falcon fan!
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

XRT UTE,

I think you have a chip on ya shoulder...your comparo is odd.

XR Downsides-

Big car (huh? the Falcon is meant to be big so it seats 5 easily!)

big lag (garbage! XR6T has the least lag of any turbo car Ive driven)

no down low thump (XR6T's smooth power delivery is a negative?!)

no 6k launch (so?! If my car can = a WRX 0-100kmh who cares how its done)

no handling (well, less compared to a WRX)

taxi look (vaguely)

runs out of puff (meaning?!)

AWD Downsides

Small car (I dont think this is a downside if its what you seek)

some lag (I agree, small engines+turbo = lag)

no torque (well, less compared to the XR6T anyway)

crap clutch (after several 6k launches Id expect something to give)

'racer boy' image (depends how the car is done up)

long drives are painfull (well, not as comfy as an XR6T, agreed)

XR upsides

roomy

comfortable

torque

potential

manual is a good box, smooth and strong (the auto works even better imho)

AWD upsides

6k launches (this isnt necessarily a good thing)

7.5k launches ( put your eyeballs back in...)

Handling

braking

did I mention something about an awd launch?????

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
phase iii example. 18psi@2700rpm

lag? What's that :hiwelcome:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lag for me is how boost comes on to reach max boost, from 1500 to 3500 in 1 gear, the main area being 2000-2500 revs.

This graph does not show that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...