neo Member 376 Member For: 18y 6m 19d Gender: Male Location: The Ville Posted 22/10/09 03:54 PM Posted 22/10/09 03:54 PM (edited) I have a Xcal2 box and I email a tune house and told them I want a custom tune and that I have a flash box and here is there answerDyno time is $140hr, & a full edit can take between 6 & 8 hoursDoes this sound right I know these guys have done a few turbos so cant see why it would take 6 to 8 hours? Edited 22/10/09 03:55 PM by neo
Robos F6 Legacy Donating Member 407 Member For: 17y 6m 28d Gender: Male Location: Vic Posted 22/10/09 10:51 PM Posted 22/10/09 10:51 PM For what I have been told by tuners is that a Cal 2/3 should take 3 hours as they only have to tidy up the tune on the Cal software. Im not 100% certain but maybe some tune shops prefer to start from scratch but others not. I to have been quoted $300 for a tidy up tune and $800 for a full tune, both on Cal software. Other tunes like VCM suite you generally get charged for a full tune as there is no base starting point.
XR64LT Legacy Donating Member 678 Member For: 18y 8m 21d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 23/10/09 07:07 AM Posted 23/10/09 07:07 AM I know Autotech charge around $550 for a custom tune and CV charge $580 as per their web site
ravenhard Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 18y 6m 26d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown! Posted 23/10/09 08:30 AM Posted 23/10/09 08:30 AM I know Autotech charge around $550 for a custom tune You must have got a deal off them, last time I check about a month ago they were charging $770
messna Legacy Donating Member 57 Member For: 17y 9m 23d Gender: Male Location: adelaide Posted 23/10/09 09:20 AM Posted 23/10/09 09:20 AM HPF charge 795 and do a great job
neo Member 376 Member For: 18y 6m 19d Gender: Male Location: The Ville Posted 23/10/09 12:25 PM Author Posted 23/10/09 12:25 PM thanks for the replys guys ill keep asking around and see what prices I get cheers.
BFHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,932 Member For: 20y 6m 5d Gender: Male Location: nsw Posted 23/10/09 02:46 PM Posted 23/10/09 02:46 PM just remember if you pay penuts you oftern get monkeys.give c&v a go, they have never let me down.
IH8TOADS Legacy Donating Member 3,618 Member For: 21y 2m 21d Gender: Male Location: OZ Posted 29/10/09 06:53 AM Posted 29/10/09 06:53 AM Most big tuners will have an arsenal of tunes and value files on hand from similar vehicles they have done. A tuner using SCT software should be able to grab a chosen base file / strategy file for the vehicle and import their own custom calibrations (normally saved as value files). You can build a rough tune very quickly this way, and from there it's just making minor modifications to suit the cars particulars. Just remember though....most tuners would have spent hrs upon hrs building their value file base, so even though it may only take a few hrs on the dyno for a good tune...your paying for intellectual property that the tuner has acquired over some time...yrs etc. If the car is on the dyno for 6 hrs....that's about 30 WOT runs (assuming you can load and run about 5 flashes per hr). That's a lot of dyno runs. Spending a total of 6 - 8hr's on a tune is acceptable IMO, but I doubt all of it would be dyno time...maybe half. In the end of the day, if they're spending all day on your car then they are most likely going to get it pretty sweet :-) In regards to the peanuts....most certainly holds true for tuning Stick with one of the big names and you won't be dissapointed I'm sure. 1
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 29/10/09 07:05 AM Posted 29/10/09 07:05 AM Good post mate as I'm sure there is a common misconception that every tune is started from scratch.For context , imagine some of the major shops that have tuned hundreds of these cars ( since 2002 ) with every conceivable combinationof mods. They will have a pretty good base tune for most cars.As said a few hours dyno time a good tuner will have it pretty spot on
Xrfranjo Member 350 Member For: 19y 1m 6d Gender: Male Location: Bonnyrigg Heights, NSW Posted 29/10/09 07:43 AM Posted 29/10/09 07:43 AM its not how much its going to cost... its how fast do you want to go.......
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now