G6EEEETTTT Member 27 Member For: 8y 1m 12d Posted 06/09/18 04:25 AM Posted 06/09/18 04:25 AM Putting some king springs in my FG, SSL fronts and SSSL rears. Will it need a wheel alignment after they are swapped out? And if it does is it best to let the springs settle first before it's done? A 4 wheel alignment was done a month ago when I got new tyres.
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,114 Member For: 18y 5m 23d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 06/09/18 04:42 AM Posted 06/09/18 04:42 AM yeah, if it's heaps lower (which it will be with those springs), a bit of suspension geometry will need to be different, so a wheel alignment is a good idea. Definitely wait until it has settled.
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 06/09/18 06:17 AM Posted 06/09/18 06:17 AM 100% need wheel align . Dont drive to long after springs or will kill tyres... A few days to settle will be enough.
G6EEEETTTT Member 27 Member For: 8y 1m 12d Posted 17/09/18 03:14 AM Author Posted 17/09/18 03:14 AM (edited) Well I got the wheel alignment done, but they couldn't get enough adjustment and have recommeneded getting a camber kit for it. Something like 1.5 degrees on one side and 2.0 on the other? He said it will probably pull a little to the left, which it does. Nothing dramatic but a very slight drift to the left. What are my options here. I have seen one kit on ebay for $50 each, and another for $115 each. Then there is the K mac kit which is expensive at $350. From what I can see it's just a new bracket and some shims. Might be a bit wary of the $50 one. No idea what the quality would be like on that. I wasn't expecting it to need one as I reckon it has only come down 1 inch on the front. Although I haven't done an after measurement yet cause I want to let it settle some more. Edited 17/09/18 03:16 AM by G6EEEETTTT
adams355 Member 529 Member For: 9y 5m 1d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 17/09/18 03:35 AM Posted 17/09/18 03:35 AM How much camber do you want on the front?
G6EEEETTTT Member 27 Member For: 8y 1m 12d Posted 17/09/18 03:37 AM Author Posted 17/09/18 03:37 AM Probably similar to factory settings.
adams355 Member 529 Member For: 9y 5m 1d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 17/09/18 03:43 AM Posted 17/09/18 03:43 AM About 1-1.5 slightly lowered isn't it? You will only need a shim or 2.
G6EEEETTTT Member 27 Member For: 8y 1m 12d Posted 17/09/18 03:57 AM Author Posted 17/09/18 03:57 AM I have Kings SSL in the front. They did say they just couldn't quite get enough adjustment so 1 or 2 sounds about right. Wouldn't need much.
adams355 Member 529 Member For: 9y 5m 1d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 17/09/18 04:04 AM Posted 17/09/18 04:04 AM Yep, it won't be too much the shims come in different thickness as well. Just take it somewhere they won't overcharge you for doing it. I had quotes ranging from $175 to $50. The person I took mine to already had some shims laying around, ironically I had to take some out to get more -camber on the front. Just had another alignment this morning actually lol.
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 17/09/18 04:16 AM Posted 17/09/18 04:16 AM For good tyre life you want about 0.5 to 1.0 degree max. What they mean is they dont have enough thread for the thickness of shims to adjust.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now