Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Guest 2qik
  • Guests
Posted

verrrrrrrrrrrrry nice! With that much power..pipes glowing orange spring to mind

  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Big Gun
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: NSW
Posted
But I have had the sheer pleasure of driving Brian's car. It is a rocket.

I had the pleasure of going Back To the Future while Mick was driving it too. DAMN that car is quick. The car is truely a credit to Brian. Can't wait to see what else he has up his sleeve.

Rob

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

You can read more about my car in Zoom, No. 77, page 53, just out.

I'll see if I can get some of the photos, such as rods & pistons etc, and post them here.

Brian

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Here's a pic of the new rod compared to the old rod.

post-34-1082881480.jpg

  • Site protagonist
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: At the lights, waiting for you.
Posted
Here's a pic of the new rod compared to the old rod.

Wow Brian, that's a big difference. Who makes the new rod and out of what? What would a set of rods like that cost. How much would it cost to fit them and what else would you change at the same time while the engine is pulled down?

Geea. :birthdaywish:

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Geea,

Yes, substantially larger and stronger.

You'd have to ask Simon at Nizpro for more details, including cost.

These are used as part of the Nizpro stage 3 kit, and this is recommended by them for 330rwkw+ engines. I did valve springs, rods and pistons at the same time, helping to reduce costs and give me more future power upgrade potential.

I received some photos of my car as used in the zoom mag, and have approval to publish them.

Photo of pistons and rods.

Brian

post-34-1082882318.jpg

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Pistons are forged and substantially lighter than stock.

The forged H-beam rods and pistons have been balanced.

Compression ratio has been reduced from 8.7 to 8.3:1.

I still get great throttle response because of the much more efficent inlet to the motor via all the factory plumbing that's removed, and can still run higher boost if I want.

Brian

post-34-1082883749.jpg

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Here's my block on the boring machine.

The block was well prepared: sonic, pressure and crack tested, strainer plate-honed bores, line-bored crack tunnel and the decks squared to the bores.

Standard crank has retained, but it was crack tested.

Head was not touched, except to machine the valve spring seats to accomodate the longer heavier-duty springs.

Brian

post-34-1082884555.jpg

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: NSW
Posted

Hi Brian

I remember you saying that you changed the big ends and mains, and that they were in pretty bad shape , do you have any pics of these?

Cheers

Frank

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Yes Frank, there were problems with the big-end bearings, such that it was predicted the stock motor would have had problems by 100k.

I'd advise anyone after big power to have their engine block examined. If my engine block is any way representative, there may well be quite a few failures in the future. I think this was discussed in your thread about potential problems a couple of months ago.

Sorry, I didn't receive or take any pics of these.

Brian

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...