American here! I have a few Barra questions.

Mustangman570

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 5d

So what car is the barra going in? Whats the plan?

Best bet for parts and advice is Jeturbo. You will save lots of money and do it right.

I am actually importing 7 of them. 1 to put in my 1993 Fox Mustang Coupe. 1 to put in my brother's 1997 Jeep Wrangler. The other 5 are to sell, hopefully for enough profit to pay for my motor.

I honestly don't care about my brother's Wrangler swap, I'm doing it as a favor, the real interest of mine is the Fox. I can get forged rods and pistons locally, as well as the ARP head and main studs. I am buying NA motors and replacing the internals with good parts. The difference in price for an NA motor and a turbo motor is enough to buy all the necessary good parts to make the NA motor stronger than the turbo motor. Shooting for 600hp to the wheels, for now. I will see how it goes.

I would like to source as many parts locally as possible, not just to save money, but for reasons of time and convenience. If I have to source parts overseas I will. But I have enough trouble waiting 2 days for race car parts coming from the next state over, I don't know if I'll make waiting for parts from Australia. It's taken 6 months to get the motors, I'm like an alcoholic waiting for my next drink. 

18 hours ago, camo86T said:

This

should be

@Mustangman570 If you're going to the trouble of importing a barra I doubt it's to baby it on the school run. What sort of power are you aiming for?

Big factor on pump gears is whether you're running auto or manual trans; manual being much more likely to destroy them. I'm making approx 440rwkw/590rwhwp (manual) on std gears but my sphincter tightens every time I bump the limiter and I'll eventually upgrade the whole pump.

Atomic has a refurb/swap pump option with billet gears, end plate, bypass circuitry and a few other little tricks which I'll be going for, I have a pump I pulled from a N/A donk sitting in the garage for when the time comes.

http://www.atomicperformanceproducts.com/oil_pumps_&_components.html

Can't help on 4.6/5.4 valve springs or other parts sorry. @Puffwagon  @ratter @JETURBO ?

Probably going to be a manual for starters (T5) I will eventually be going auto, either a 4r70w or if I can get a controller for a reasonable price I'll go with a 6r80. I may just leave the stock gears and lower the limiter to be safe.

15 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I measured a stock bf turbo spring and looked up some comp cam spring specs for the 4.6/5.4. They aren't the same but they are very close. I noticed that some 4.6/5.4 springs have slightly different measurements.

These are the measurements I got from a stock xr spring. I noticed that the spring wasn't completely round and they are very slightly different lengths from being used.

Outside Diameter

1.015/0.959

Inside Diameter

0.710/0.640

Spring length 2.063

I'm not sure on the installed height or the other various measurements for the xr springs. The info is probably on the net somewhere. Apart from physically fitting in the head and matching the retainer, you need to make sure that a spring wont bind up at full lift, and that it has enough but not too much pressure for the application.

I looked up the oil pump gears and while they look pretty similar you'd have to measure them. Sorry I can't help more there. I could probably measure a set of stock xr gears over the next couple of days if that's any help.

I put some springs through the plazmaman cart and postage to the states was about 100aud so it's not too bad.

Your best bet would be to contact an aussie workshop that works on mustangs and xr's for further information. Cms @joe@cms springs to mind and I'm sure a bit of research will turn up others.

This helps! Thank you! If you have a set of stock gears lying around and you are bored one night, I would greatly appreciate you giving me those measurements.

15 hours ago, JETURBO said:

Hey @Mustangman570

why dont you get a list together of what you want and ill happily source everything for you, box it up and send it to you through a Pack n send company /TNT/HPS style company that way you will get the right parts first time :) 

if you're interested buzz me a PM 

I may take you up on that. I'm mainly looking into potential future issues, I won't have the motors in hand for another 6 weeks or so, and won't have them in the car for a few weeks after that.

I want one, but it is not in the budget, yet.

I have been looking around for a little while now, I can't find dimensions on the actual motor. How long/tall/wide is the motor with intake and exhaust manifolds on. They dont have to be exact, ballpark an inch or 2 is all I need.

Thank you guys! The people on this forum are super friendly!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 15d

As arron says I'd be going with a t56 if you're going the manual route at all

Even when tuned to suit and driven sympathetically it seems high 300s (rwkw) is the max they can handle behind a barra for any length of time; the mid range torque of these motors murders them

Nothing like a '93 model but may be of interest anyway:

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=20846.0

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 29d
12 hours ago, Mustangman570 said:

How long/tall/wide is the motor with intake and exhaust manifolds on. They dont have to be exact, ballpark an inch or 2 is all I need.

30.5 long, 28 wide, 28 tall.

That is a BF turbo engine. I don't know what the FG is but it'd be pretty similar.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 15d

Should've said 

On 3/8/2018 at 5:19 PM, camo86T said:

Even when tuned to suit and driven sympathetically it seems high 300s (rwkw) is the max a T5 can handle behind a barra for any length of time; the mid range torque of these motors murders them

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 26d
4 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

That is a BF turbo engine. I don't know what the FG is but it'd be pretty similar.

Just keep in mind the main volume of the sump is swapped from B sumps to F sumps.  May come in handy to fit up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, camo86T said:

Even when tuned to suit and driven sympathetically it seems high 300s (rwkw) is the max they can handle behind a barra for any length of time; the mid range torque of these motors murders them

Nothing like a '93 model but may be of interest anyway:

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=20846.0

That orange 1965 is the reason I have p in so much effort to get a Barra. I know that car has the SOHC, but that led me down the rabbit hole of bad ass Aussie motors.

I'll be starting with a T5 simply because it is what I have in hand, just to get the car up and running with the Barra as quickly as possible. I plan on making an adapter plate to mate the Barra to a windsor bolt pattern, then once it is up and running I'll make a plate to mate it to the 4.6/5.4 bolt pattern. By having both adapter plates I will have a ton of transmission options. I will most likely be using an auto.

9 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

4 hours ago, FiftyOne said:

Just keep in mind the main volume of the sump is swapped from B sumps to F sumps.  May come in handy to fit up.

I will start looking for an F sump. Thank you for the heads up.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...