PCMTec - SCT/HP alternative?

ratter

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Yeah, can run either fuel on either tune in an emergency without issue (I just keep it off boost to stop things going bang)

Definitely worth me having a chat with Mick in the new year.

• Member For: 11y 2m 15d

Rab,

Are you doing this because the injectors on LPG and Petrol are not matched? Something along the lines of having factory petrol injectors and LPG have been set up for higher power? I also have a JTG system on my Territory and have looked at the IMRC but I have not been able to work out if I can use the signal from the JTG system to tell the PCM the IMRC is in a different state but mine is a BF. If the IMRC can be only be used the other way then I might get it to turn on the petrol injectors to supplement the JTG and maybe water/meth as well. Once Rolls and I get the Workshop version/scanner done for PCMTec  I might be able to have a play.

On 1/6/2018 at 12:09 PM, Rab said:

Does it have the same chance of the flash failing when doing the TCM when the car is hot?

From what I have seen in the ZF we can change these values and increase the temperature that it allows flashing. I would not risk this as there are comments like if the chip is over a limit then flashing will fail. I am not sure what state that would leave the ZF in and if it could be recovered.

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
1 hour ago, DarrylC said:

Are you doing this because the injectors on LPG and Petrol are not matched? Something along the lines of having factory petrol injectors and LPG have been set up for higher power?

I've got the good old Bosch 42?? green caps??

From memory they're the closest in flow to the gas injectors, but (on my car at least) not really close enough for a single "safe" tune that's satisfactory.

I've got 95RON tunes (about 270 at the rear), LPG tunes (about 320) and a "worst case, happy on either" that is about 250??

(Went 95 rather than 98 to be safe - if I can't get LPG, there's a chance I can't get 98 - has proved true quite often - shouldn't effect the flow though)

1 hour ago, DarrylC said:

I also have a JTG system on my Territory and have looked at the IMRC but I have not been able to work out if I can use the signal from the JTG system to tell the PCM the IMRC is in a different state

Could it pick it up/piggy back from the toggle in the cabin (or wherever that feeds/accepts from)?

LPG On/Off - regardless of whether manually pushed or gas runs out? 

The JTG is invisible to the ECU/PCM, so would need to accept an outside trigger/constant?

Worst case a separate toggle to manually switch the state?

Doing laps at Phillip Island the JTG controller/tank has overheated a few times, cutting off the gas (false empty) - being able to flick a switch and keep going through the session on the petrol tune would be awesome.

On a cruise the same - hot day, hard driving the tank gets hot and won't take gas from the pump. I either make everyone wait while I flash to the petrol tune or keep going very sedately - toggle switch in the cabin...... no issues.

Could even flip it early, turn off the LPG and give the tank/pump a chance to cool down before we get to the servo so I can fill it.

10 hours ago, Rab said:

I've got the good old Bosch 42?? green caps??

From memory they're the closest in flow to the gas injectors, but (on my car at least) not really close enough for a single "safe" tune that's satisfactory.

I've got 95RON tunes (about 270 at the rear), LPG tunes (about 320) and a "worst case, happy on either" that is about 250??

42 lb bosch green injectors is a great match, that is where I started. 95 and LPG safe tune will probably be close to each other for power. I found when tuning a car for 98 and switching it to LPG I picked up a bit of power (don't have the dyno run but maybe 5%). Ratter will have done a great job here.

10 hours ago, Rab said:

Could it pick it up/piggy back from the toggle in the cabin (or wherever that feeds/accepts from)?

I will work with Mick to see if we can get the signal from the JTG to feed back into the IMRC (not sure if it is possible).

I had a piggy back Haltec Interceptor on the car at one stage and I was picking up the signal from the JTG control unit when it was actually on LPG (not priming) and that worked OK but the JTG controller needed replacing so that is no longer on the car.  

One of the things that may be worth considering is water injection. Your 95 will out perform race gas and maybe even e85 in terms on knock resistance. That could certainly be switch on via the IMRC controls just like NOS. I used a system on my Subaru (just water injection) and it was brilliant, especially at Winton :)

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
26 minutes ago, DarrylC said:

I will work with Mick to see if we can get the signal from the JTG to feed back into the IMRC (not sure if it is possible).

Something there would be fantastic - being stuck on the wrong tune/fuel is the only real bugbear I have left with the car

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d

Rab after a bit more digging it doesn't look like the IMRC has a position feedback sensor. So you can do the map switch but it would be RPM based which is not really that useful for your use case, more useful for enabling nitrous or a water meth sprayer and adding ignition timing at the same time. You could also use it to turn on a second set of injectors etc but I can't see any easy way to manually trigger this switch from an input.

Edited by rollex

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
3 hours ago, rollex said:

but it would be RPM based which is not really that useful for your use case,

Bugger - will definitely be keeping an eye on the progress