arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 1d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 13/08/14 01:17 PM Posted 13/08/14 01:17 PM (edited) A cut up airbox just sucks hot air from the engine bay.Above video. They sound the same to me. Cant hear the spool. Edited 13/08/14 01:20 PM by arronm 1
damo6 Member 85 Member For: 13y 8m 15d Gender: Male Location: brisbane nth Posted 13/08/14 10:01 PM Posted 13/08/14 10:01 PM I hole-sawed a 4'' hole on the bottom front of mine,aside from any air flow improvement (k'n filter also installed) its virtually impossible to know its there
Pixy Angel Expert Legacy Donating Member 9,132 Member For: 21y 7m Gender: Male Location: North Jamberoo, NSW Posted 13/08/14 10:12 PM Author Posted 13/08/14 10:12 PM (edited) NVT (Dan) thanks mate great info.I've already spoken with Kev about lining me up with cooler, air intake and muffler delete but will need to wait a month as all out of coolers ATM. Can the air intake and muffler delete be fitted before tune? or should I just wait.Im not after anything to loud its still a family car and a lux car too but will give it a go.As good as it looks and tidy I was thinking being so low down and right next to the engine all youre doing to getting hot air straight from engine. Edited 13/08/14 10:22 PM by Pixy Angel
KPM Motorsport Member 968 Member For: 20y 11m 5d Gender: Male Location: 2 Dunorlan Road Edwardstown S.A. 08 82999998 Posted 13/08/14 11:46 PM Posted 13/08/14 11:46 PM (edited) nah that's to much work biz.Maybe KPM can do me a deal with Air box and ID1000The Streetfighter Airbox recieves cool dense Air from over headlight and grill directly. There is no under bonnet hot air at all.Coupled with the Massive 5 inch BMC Twin Air Filter it recives the largest delivery of any airbox on the market.Would be happy to negate price of freight for the Streetfighter Airbox as well as the KPM1000cc Injectors.I will also throw in the Race cover.Both direct fit Overnight Freight Edited 13/08/14 11:47 PM by KPM Motorsport 1
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 1d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 13/08/14 11:53 PM Posted 13/08/14 11:53 PM For non-turbo side intake I reckon KPM is the goods. 3
furiousgibbon Member 86 Member For: 19y 1m 9d Posted 14/08/14 12:52 AM Posted 14/08/14 12:52 AM Above video. They sound the same to me. Cant hear the spool. there is an increase in turbo noise but not enough to pick up in a video and not significant enough to justify buying the intake. You probably need to swap out the silencer pipe if you want to hear the turbo spinning up constantly. The big noise difference is from the recirc valve, it's much, much louder than it was before. I had a K&N pod filter setup on my old XR5 and the constant turbo hissing got on my nerves, I just want the flutter when I lift off to shift.
Pixy Angel Expert Legacy Donating Member 9,132 Member For: 21y 7m Gender: Male Location: North Jamberoo, NSW Posted 14/08/14 12:52 AM Author Posted 14/08/14 12:52 AM Oh noooo now the table has turned..........Man that looks good KPM. If an air intake looks sexy that the one. 2
MattyP MattyP Legacy Donating Member 6,317 Member For: 14y 4m 23d Gender: Male Location: Central Coast Posted 14/08/14 01:14 AM Posted 14/08/14 01:14 AM TURBO SIDE! TURBO SIDE! 3
Joorsh New Member 14 Member For: 19y 2d Gender: Male Posted 14/08/14 01:21 AM Posted 14/08/14 01:21 AM (edited) Regarding sucking in hot air, the standard airbox is on the cold side of the motor, so temps are quite tame in that area. I'd say that's probably why Mr Ford has the intake pipe crossing over like it does in the first place.As soon as you're doing more than 10kmph, cold air absolutely belts in around the airbox from the side of the radiator support panel and headlight surround. You're going to see virtually no intake difference.Further more, when it hits the turbo it'll be heated up massively, so even if there are a few degrees difference at the intake those differences will be negligible after is passes through (or very close to) the red-hot sections of a glowing turbo.Your intercooler is going to do all the work cooling it off afterwards. Yes there are turbo thermal efficiency gains to be had from slightly cooler intake temps pre-compression, but I honestly don't think we'd be talking more than 2-3 degrees difference here. When people talk about how much better their car performs on a cold day, that's largely due to the intercooler performing better, rather than the initial pre-turbo intake temps. They still play a part, but not nearly as much as the intercooler does.The other thing worth mentioning here is that I have actual, quantifiable performance gains from my intake mods. So regardless of any discussion, the evidence shows that it does work. I'm not sure what the real-world gains are from those aftermarket intakes, but I would assume (hope!) they would be slightly better than my approach. How much better than mine, I don't know. If anyone has any pre/post dyno figures I'd be very interested to see them. Just beware that manufacturers will often claim figures like "+45kw", but it will be on a car already making 300rwkw. To be fair in comparison we'd need to see it on a dead stock car like mine. The gains from intake and exhaust mods increase exponentially as you modify engines (in particular, increased gas velocity and volume).Regarding the sound, yeah there's a bit more induction noise with my mods - a very soft whistling sound. You don't really hear it in the cabin though. It's certainly not offensive, and nothing the boys in blue are going to even glance at. It's much, MUCH quieter than the Nissan RB & SR engines. It's even quieter than the Toyota 1J & 2J series, and those are pretty tame standard.As for looks, most of those aftermarket intakes look pretty damn good - there's definitely no competing with that. That KPM one in particular looks very nice, and there's no question that it would flow really well. Edited 14/08/14 01:33 AM by Joorsh 3
Robos F6 Legacy Donating Member 407 Member For: 17y 6m 26d Gender: Male Location: Vic Posted 14/08/14 01:58 AM Posted 14/08/14 01:58 AM Regarding sucking in hot air, the standard airbox is on the cold side of the motor, so temps are quite tame in that area. I'd say that's probably why Mr Ford has the intake pipe crossing over like it does in the first place.As soon as you're doing more than 10kmph, cold air absolutely belts in around the airbox from the side of the radiator support panel and headlight surround. You're going to see virtually no intake difference.Further more, when it hits the turbo it'll be heated up massively, so even if there are a few degrees difference at the intake those differences will be negligible after is passes through (or very close to) the red-hot sections of a glowing turbo.Your intercooler is going to do all the work cooling it off afterwards. Yes there are turbo thermal efficiency gains to be had from slightly cooler intake temps pre-compression, but I honestly don't think we'd be talking more than 2-3 degrees difference here. When people talk about how much better their car performs on a cold day, that's largely due to the intercooler performing better, rather than the initial pre-turbo intake temps. They still play a part, but not nearly as much as the intercooler does.The other thing worth mentioning here is that I have actual, quantifiable performance gains from my intake mods. So regardless of any discussion, the evidence shows that it does work. I'm not sure what the real-world gains are from those aftermarket intakes, but I would assume (hope!) they would be slightly better than my approach. How much better than mine, I don't know. If anyone has any pre/post dyno figures I'd be very interested to see them. Just beware that manufacturers will often claim figures like "+45kw", but it will be on a car already making 300rwkw. To be fair in comparison we'd need to see it on a dead stock car like mine. The gains from intake and exhaust mods increase exponentially as you modify engines (in particular, increased gas velocity and volume).Regarding the sound, yeah there's a bit more induction noise with my mods - a very soft whistling sound. You don't really hear it in the cabin though. It's certainly not offensive, and nothing the boys in blue are going to even glance at. It's much, MUCH quieter than the Nissan RB & SR engines. It's even quieter than the Toyota 1J & 2J series, and those are pretty tame standard.As for looks, most of those aftermarket intakes look pretty damn good - there's definitely no competing with that. That KPM one in particular looks very nice, and there's no question that it would flow really well. Well said, it was exactly what I was thinking. By the time it hits the turbo, heats up again then thru the intercooler, it would be very minimal difference.Also, where is the Cold Air feed for the drivers side air box? I dont think I have ever seen one so I assume all of the air is coming from the engine bay just like your modded xr6 box.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now