Ceramic Coating Turbo

Cameron02

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 4m 17d

I had a read and Nizpro is welcome to believe what it wants but I will stick with what the engineers at Garrett say

Q. What is compressor surge?

A. The surge region, located on the left-hand side of the compressor map (known as the surge line), is an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. The turbo should be sized so that the engine does not operate in the surge range. When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur. When referencing a compressor map, the surge line is the line bordering the islands on their far left side. Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain. This condition causes the airflow in the compressor wheel to back up, build pressure, and sometimes stall. In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed, and will sometimes even lead to mechanical failure of the compressor wheel itself. Common conditions that result in compressor surge on turbocharger gasoline engines are:

-A compressor bypass valve is not integrated into the intake plumbing between the compressor outlet and throttle body

-The outlet plumbing for the bypass valve is too small or restrictive

-The turbo is too big for the application

I understand Nizpro are well respected people but I will take a Garrett engineers word over Nizpro's anyday

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/faq

Edited by Red R6

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 6d

On a side note, being that your only planning on ceramic coating the exhaust side of the turbo. Should the ceramic coating have built up enough to damage your turbine its only going down the exhaust not through your engine so you won't really have to worry to much about that. And when reassembling the turbo I would hope you would spin it by hand to check its free and not binding before actually installing it.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 1d

I had a read and Nizpro is welcome to believe what it wants but I will stick with what the engineers at Garrett say

Q. What is compressor surge?

A. The surge region, located on the left-hand side of the compressor map (known as the surge line), is an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. The turbo should be sized so that the engine does not operate in the surge range. When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur. When referencing a compressor map, the surge line is the line bordering the islands on their far left side. Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain. This condition causes the airflow in the compressor wheel to back up, build pressure, and sometimes stall. In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed, and will sometimes even lead to mechanical failure of the compressor wheel itself. Common conditions that result in compressor surge on turbocharger gasoline engines are:

-A compressor bypass valve is not integrated into the intake plumbing between the compressor outlet and throttle body

-The outlet plumbing for the bypass valve is too small or restrictive

-The turbo is too big for the application

I understand Nizpro are well respected people but I will take a Garrett engineers word over Nizpro's anyday

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/faq

Compressor surge and flutter from no bov = not same/same..

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 9m 4d

Red R6, welcome aboard mate. But I already have an awareness, that you have little understanding. I suggest you don't believe everything you read. Maybe talk about how ceramic coating improves thermal velocity.

Cheers

• Like 1