Ceramic Coating Turbo

Cameron02

• Member For: 11y 4m 15d

Down the track I would like to ceramic coat my headers, turbo and dump pipe to reduce engine bay heat and increase the life of engine bay components. I would need to pull the turbo apart so that I could send the exhaust side in for coating. Is there anything special I have to do when dismanting the turbo (only enough to get the exhaust side seperated)? For example do I have to mark fan/rod positions etc. Or is it pretty much pull it apart and clamp it back together again.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 2d

It's best to mark the exhaust housing orientaton in relation to the compressor housing as it will make assembly easier, but you will loose and marks you make once you get it coated.

Take a bunch of happy snaps and measurements before you pull it apart, the orientation of the actuator rod will be your biggest guide so make you measure and photograph it well.

The Exhaust housing needs to come off square to avoid damaging the turbin wheel. Easiest way (IMHO) to do this is to use either some spacer sockets are suitable spacers between the head of the exhaust housing bolts and the CHRA, place them between the two and as you remove the bolts they will jack the front housing off the rear.

Thanks Ralph,

I think I understand. If I dont put the exhaust housing back in the same position then the actuator attachment will not line up and neither will the dump pipe?

Trying to understand what you mean about the spacers. What is the CHRA?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 4m 18d

Be very sure you will always have time to let your turbo cool down before you turn your car off as keeping the heat in the turbo can cause bearing failure when its off as the coolant and oil stop flowing.

Edited by Red R6

Thanks Red,

I did not think of that. I guess that would be good advice for any turbo, not just a coated one?

Do you know if they are able to coat the inside of the turbo or just the outside. Will coating the inside mess with tolerences? If they do coat the inside then the inside should cool down more quickly than standard. If they can only coat the outside then yes, the inside of the turbo would take longer to cool down.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 4m 18d

If I was you I would just stick to the exterior, those blades spin upto 150k rpm I wouldnt want them to hit anything at that speed plus if the balance of the staft and wheels are altered in anyway it WILL have devastating results. Remember when a turbo fails it can result in fine metal particals going into the intake system and destroy your bores and rings (it happens all the time on R32 GTR's)