Ceramic Coating Turbo

Cameron02

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 4m 12d

Red R6, welcome aboard mate. But I already have an awareness, that you have little understanding. I suggest you don't believe everything you read. Maybe talk about how ceramic coating improves thermal velocity.

Cheers

Hey if you know something about ceramic coating turbo feel fresh to share I would love to learn more

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain

Compressor surge occurs when the mass of air being produced by the compressor is greater then the engine can utilise. True compressor surge will occur when the turbo (or compressor wheel) is to large for the engine It does not occur when the throttle body is closed with no bov

If the throttle is closed the turbine is no long being driven by exhaust gases so problems such as thrust bearing wear and bent shafts are not an issue.

• Donating Members

Did you read the red writing about how it can occure when the plum back BOV is too small/restrictive aka blocked. that's why you hear that flutter sound, the air is trying to force its way out and the turbo is still spinning and making pressure, it takes a few moments for it to slow down and the turbo to stop sucking air.

• Member For: 13y 8m 30d

Red R6. As a new member may I just highlight something that is very important. When Ralphie talks, you listen. What he is saying is correct. What he says in general is correct. So lets look at it this way. You are in your first semester doing, XR6 Turbo 101. And Ralphie is doing his PHD, and by the way, Ralphie is also your lecturer. So good to ask questions, to a point. Then its time to listen.

The difference with the above is compressor "cavitation" which is a different phenomenon to "surge"

Cheers

• Donating Members

I have had a turbo car for over 9 years before my xr6 Im not new to turbos, I understand what Ralph is trying to say but if he doesn't want to believe what Garrett is saying then there is no point debating further. I will post a link to the turbosmart site later. I still intent to hang around and contribute but I do encourage everyone to do a simple Google search when they get a chance

Cheers

• Member For: 13y 8m 30d

What your not getting your head around is the fact that once the T/B is closed, there are no longer opposing forces on the shaft. All that is occurring is the air is being chopped by the impeller (cavitation). Go and blow into a pedestal fan. You will hear a similar noise.Do you believe that by blowing into your fan you are going to wear it out? As there are far greater forces on the shaft when on full boost ( as the turbo is now being subjected to creating pressurised air, opposing forces are now in play), which will wear it out quicker than anything else.

Now onto the subject that we should be discussing.

By ceramic coating the rear turbine housing you are retaining a greater amount of heat. This is benefical for creating faster spool up. Because more heat equates to higher thermal energy, which in turn produces faster gas flow. Remember it is heat, not flow that spools a turbo.

Cheers

• Donating Members

That's part of what I was trying to say those opposing forces on the turbo while its still spinning that can cause the damage but damage will depend on turbo condition and the amount of boost being made e.g. 5 psi wouldn't put anywhere the stress on it compared to say 30psi. I just don't want to see anyone's car broken by something that's preventable

• Member For: 12y 2m 26d
Red R6, welcome aboard mate. But I already have an awareness, that you have little understanding. I suggest you don't believe everything you read. Maybe talk about how ceramic coating improves thermal velocity.

Cheers

Maybe talk about why a blow off Valve is present in the first place?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

I heard stuffing a rag in your intake also improves fuel economy lmao.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

^that link describes the popular perception (and also the marketing tatic used by the companies that make and sell BOV's). The original reason still remains the same, to prevent flow reversion through the MAF and to a lesser degree reducing load on the thrust bearing on plain bearing turbo's.

Since our cars have neither a MAF or a plain bearing turbo the point is moot. Ford fitted them to reduce intake noise. I wouldn't treat the word of Garrett as gospel as after all they are the ones who specified the requirement for a turbo oil feed line filter on our cars ........and we all know how that went..........

• Like 1