What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Is on holiday from communism
  • Member For: 5y 3m 26d

You doing yours made me look at mine, the transmission cooler is bolted on the passenger side of the engine with two lines going to the radiator and  I'm assuming two too the transmission.

Is it where half of the cooler has the oil running through it and the other half of the cooler has the coolant running through it to keep temps in the transmission the same as coolant?

Is it a internal failure making coolant and oil mix? 

I guessing the air cooler you fitted is just oil being cooled by air, but would that mean it would take longer for the transmission to warm up and cool down.  Also would need a oil top up and temp gauge to see if it's doing its job.

I'm leaning towards just replacing the standard cooler with another standard one.

I'm getting confused with what I should  

Do. It's just a daily

:foreveralone:

Edited by I love kittens
I canrt spell

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 30d

You need a bigger pumper mate. Those little hand pumpers aren't very good for big jobs or diff oil. I've got one and it's not much fun pumping for half an hour!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROTARY-DRILL-PUMP-SUITABLE-FOR-OIL-DIESEL-UP-TO-900LPH/223192662231?epid=12020741950&hash=item33f751c0d7:g:ySsAAOSwLvxbxpdv:rk:2:pf:0

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 6d
I'm getting confused with what I should do
I wouldn't worry about warm up with going to oil to air and deleting the factory heat exchanger. Heaps of people have taken this approach. There's an email from ZF floating around on a post somewhere where they say the trans heats itself quickly and is designed to operate from -20 degrees.

I might be wrong, but to my thinking if your thermostat is closed at startup, the coolant parked in the heat exchanger until the thermostat opens won't be getting warm anyway.

One of the items you can read with an OBDII scanner is trans temp so no need to install a gauge. Yes, you will need to top up the fluid. I figured if I was getting under there I'd do a full service and flush anyway.

I've taken plenty of pics and will write up a full version of what I did in the next couple of weeks.
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 6d
You need a bigger pumper mate. Those little hand pumpers aren't very good for big jobs or diff oil. I've got one and it's not much fun pumping for half an hour!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROTARY-DRILL-PUMP-SUITABLE-FOR-OIL-DIESEL-UP-TO-900LPH/223192662231?epid=12020741950&hash=item33f751c0d7:g:ySsAAOSwLvxbxpdv:rk:2:pf:0
Yeah should have done that. The drill option is a good tip. Actually a funnel with a hose would have done the job too.

I'm 3 litres in (but paused until my fittings arrive) so will probably finish with the little guy, but will pick something up ready for the next trans and service.
  • Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 30d

Yeah funnels are good too. Chuck a long bit of hose on the end for all kindz of oil hole access. I did the wife's lancer manual trans with a funnel and hose.

• Like 1

• Is on holiday from communism
  • Member For: 5y 3m 26d
41 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

it's not much fun pumping for half an hour!

that's why I let her do all the work.

• Haha 1

• Member For: 6y 11m 27d

The zf will slip in third or fourth gear until it heats up to 30c fluid temp, it was designed to do that.  I warm mine up for a few minutes it has air/oil cooler and it sometimes slips a bit to I get to the end of the street but stops exactly on 30c on the torque app. It does warm up idling.

I think the greatest benefit of the air/oil cooler is that the trans fluid can be kept under 80c instead of hitting nearly 100c with the crappy milkshaking stock cooler. Mine was definitely suffering with the hot trans fluid temp before I changed it.