Sign in to follow this  
silverjet

Any South Islanders On The Forum?

Arr good to see a new post in the nz forum welcome been pretty quite around here.. think theres a few good tuning shops down there.. you know you will get the bug after sifting around this place for a while..

Hi Silverjet, I'm in CHCH there are a few of us here. I have played around with mine and I would do the waist gate flapper mod and new actuator 12lb and not do the cooler straight up. Talk to Johnathan at Harman motors he tuned mine. I have 280kw at the wheels and it drives well.

Yea looks really bad pleased I'm not any where near NZ at the mo ... 2012 its comming I'm turning to religion..

Also hope my countrymen/women are all good!! Keep safe and keep strong! wish I could help more

Hi silverjet, I don't know what the BA exhaust system is like but on the BF it seems fine standard for plenty of rwkw.

You can do some moderately priced mods for good power gains.

For the air intake I cut the lower part of my airbox out at the front and fitted a folded piece of aluminium over it to stop the warm air from the engine bay getting sucked in and just let the cold air from under the headlight in (the snorkel has been removed because of the HDi intercooler).

Below are some ideas on where I think might be a good place to start and an approximate guess on rwkw, I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong

260rwkw:

Standard injectors, air intake mod and a good tune.

300rwkw+:

42lb injectors, air intake mod, actuator, fuel pump upgrade and a good tune.

Lunch the engine and/or transmission on standard pre 06/06:

60lb injectors, air intake mod, actuator, fuel pump upgrade and a good tune.

A good intercooler with not much pressure drop seems to be a very popular addition.

Removing or upgrading the cat also seems popular.

I had trouble doing burnouts until I freed up the intake and got a 'good' tune :3gears:

I did have an AutotecnicA CAI but took it out and did the mod mentioned above to the airbox. I will try swapping it back on the dyno to see if there is any difference in power (I couldn't feel much if any). What I didn't like about the AutotecnicA CAI was that I could see through the pod filter, so I figured the dust must be able to get through too.

Edited by riptide

Hey Folks,

I'm in Nelson. Have a '06 BAII F6 Typhoon, 6spd manual. Tuned by Torque Performance in Auckland to 322rwkw.

Can't get 98 gas here in Nelson. It makes 295rwkw on the 96 octane tune but no where NEAR as much torque which is a bit frustrating...

Welcome mate sounds like you've got a really nice car do you have any idea what sort of clutch it has mines just getting one today post up some pics of it??

Gidday,

It just has the standard clutch at this stage. I don't know how long it'll last but so far so good.

It's the T56 manual with a Mal Wood short shifter (transmax z in the box & the mainlube stuff in the diff). Same colour as yours - Silhouette.

Have you had yours down the 1/4 mile? If so what sort of times are you getting?

Look forward to your pics...

ended up getting one from couresty fraud they also put the short shifter in to ... havn't been able to drive it yet I'm not in NZ at the mo the clutch that was in it I was pretty sure was a the AP racing twin like what yours will have and it lasted about a year of abuse was still hanging in there just started to slip if it got warm or trying to over take.. havn't been to any tracks to get a proper time but have had a little play on a back road using power poles as my markers (they're 100m a part on open road) and was doing around 12.5 in slightly damp conditions and clutch slipping..

Think theres pics somewhere in the NZ forum kinda hard to take any at the mo lol..

hey guys

having a few issues with the t atm anyways as I had stated before I have a BA MKI now considering mods quite keen on the wastegate flapper mod however I know the BAI's have some fairly weak internal bits eg.valve springs from what I've heard so before I go about making som extra kw's what and where do think I should start. when it comes to uprgrading to stronger internal parts

cheers

the jet

You need to have a power target.

What gearbox do you have?

I wouldn't do the flapper mod straight away unless I was going to bigger injectors and more than about 10lb boost. It's a lot more work than I thought it would be. I have done the flapper mod now but only to stop overboost at around 16psi with my new mods and I had the whole turbo and manifold out to do the actuator anyway. It was happy at about 270rwkw with the standard wastegate but was just starting to let some boost out because the standard actuator spring couldn't hold it in.

If you are thinking of removing the cat just be aware that people have said here in the forums that you may need a bigger actuator to hold the boost once you drop the exhaust pressure (lots of work).

The best value for money is a good tune imo but free up your air intake first.

Only have the standard xr6t 4 spd tranny from what ive heard these are one of the cars biggest weak spots when it comes to tuning.

power goal or goals:

short term 260-270rwkw

long term 300- beyond

just dont have the funds to big things atm eg opening engine or strengthening tranny.

you'll have to excuse the dumb questions and my naievity (new to all things EFI and turbo)

so anyways what do you lads reckon?

how much grunt can the diff take before breaking?

you should be able to get 260rwkw with tune F6 airbox and prehaps remove the centre mufflers..don't no much about the 4 sp prehaps jsut a tranny cooler ??.My diff has taken punishment from 320rwkw (manual to) for about a year no problems and I'm not afraid to drop 2 black lines every now and then

sounds like the way to go cheers mate will be on the hunt over the next few months. I'm a cow cocky for a crust and in the process of selling some livestock will be buying parts after then

I have a cold air intake I will be selling if you are interested. I used it for about a week and it was too noisy for me and I decided I like the standard air intake element better because it's finer. PM me if you are interested. This is it on my car. I can give you a good price. http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ripTide99/MyEngineMods.jpg

The setup in that pic gave me about the same power you are looking for (with the tune). I was impressed with the HDi GT2 intercooler for the money.

Edited by riptide

That looks like a pretty good intake bro.. you could always do what I did .. relocate battery to boot and create your own one does the job pretty well cuts out all that pipe work across the engine bay (over the hot engine) really increases throttle response .. surely you know someone that can weld and is keen for abit of spare cash..

post-15185-0-52018300-1300350219_thumb.j

post-15185-0-04856200-1300350239_thumb.j

post-15185-0-22130600-1300350260_thumb.j

That looks like a pretty good intake bro.. you could always do what I did .. relocate battery to boot and create your own one does the job pretty well cuts out all that pipe work across the engine bay (over the hot engine) really increases throttle response .. surely you know someone that can weld and is keen for abit of spare cash..

Very nice job mate. I can see the benefits of what you've done there. Do you mind me asking how much the plenum was?

I can weld aluminium myself, so you have got me thinking :P

managed to pick the plenum rocker cover and big nizpro intercooler up of traders for $1100 was to good a deal to say no to lol... just the amount of pipe work it cuts off its worth it.. its got the biggest KnN filter I could find and a mate just got a 4" length of pipe and a 3" length if pipe cut a triangle out of the 4" bit push them together to taper it from the 3" turbo to the 4" pod he also made the cold side (from IC to Plenum) that was more fidly...moving battery wasn't hard either just got a battery box from super cheap (abuot $50) and a length of battery cable (think it was about 100)...

managed to pick the plenum rocker cover and big nizpro intercooler up of traders for $1100 was to good a deal to say no to lol... just the amount of pipe work it cuts off its worth it.. its got the biggest KnN filter I could find and a mate just got a 4" length of pipe and a 3" length if pipe cut a triangle out of the 4" bit push them together to taper it from the 3" turbo to the 4" pod he also made the cold side (from IC to Plenum) that was more fidly...moving battery wasn't hard either just got a battery box from super cheap (abuot $50) and a length of battery cable (think it was about 100)...

Sold!!

I have organized a sparkie to supply and fit the battery cable for $140 mates rates (the good stuff). All I have to do us fit the box which I get from Supercheap on Monday for $30. Then I will do the piping which will involve relocating the throttle body to a pipe I will make which heads for the old air intake position and I will make an intake similar to yours.

It was the battery relocation to the boot that made it all possible, cheers for that (although my wife is not impressed :P )

Haah wicked you'll cut off about 2 metres of piping throttle responce will be so much better, I awnan get mine all polished up have brought chrome ecu cover, fuse box cover and engine caps of traders wouldn't mind having the engine bay looking nice and bling ..also you may want to get your tune checked/touched up all well altho when I did mine and I also put the plenum and intercooler on at the same time and didn't get a tune for a while it still ran pretty good ...