Twelve Months Of Coil Pack Research

straughsberry

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 7d

Hey All,

For the last 12 months I've been researching and testing 3 brands of coil packs. I've used Ford genuine, Borgg and a no-name brand I stumbled on to.

All 3 coil packs showed no difference in power. They all seemed to work as well as each other while they were working. The biggest difference is how long they last before showing signs of failure and how they actually fail.

The Borgg units lasted less than a month, the Ford genuine 3 months and these no-namers are still working without breaking down after a 12 months.

When worn, both the Ford and Borgg units would actually break down and misfire under load and power would go away badly. The no-names though have not shown any signs of breaking down. After 12 months they still fire consistently although spark energy seems to have lessened as the car just doesn't seem to be as crisp and the seat of the pants tells me power has gone away. They were crisp and flawless for about 8 months and I do a fair few kilometres with 370rwkw.

So I reckon I've found a decent quality and well priced coil pack. They were $140 but I have enquired about a price for 20 sets and they'd be not much more than $100 for that quantity. Would people be interested?

Has anyone else got a coil pack they'd like to share. I'm sick of stuffing around with them...

Cheers,

Steph.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 3d

What causes the genuine coils to fail so quick? It this a result of tuning the cars and hence more stress on the coils?

I am going to replace mine and was going to go with a genuine set before tuning.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 26d

Hey Straughsberry. Mine havn't failed as yet but I guess its only a matter of time. Count me in. Stupid question, are they $100 each or $100 for the set?

Thanks

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 23d

I am interested in knowing why they seem to drop off over time as well...

You can count me in if you want to go ahead.

Cheers

• Damn You's A Sexy Chich
  • Member For: 16y 2m 9d

If you go ahead I'm a definite yes for a set :buttrock: up for some new ones now, and was looking at getting the borgg's glad I didnt now.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Interested.

Always good to have a set laying around for that price, when the time for a tune comes, good to have handy so as not to get stuck like me having to dish out $440 for genuine Ford ones on the day so tuner can complete the tune.

• Member For: 16y 2m 25d

Maybe they fail at higher power levels as mine are still the Factory ones and have done 65,000km with no signs of missfire ever... I run the wrx plugs so dont know if that makes a difference but they do come already gapped to .8mm. So far no dramas with 320rwkw but will see how they go in the warmer weather. Cant beleive the genuine ones only lasted 3mths,pretty crap for a genuine product.

I wonder how well those fancy coils will work and if they will be worth the money. Anyone want to be a pioneer and try them out?