adrian_celati Legacy Donating Member 82 Member For: 17y 8m 17d Gender: Male Posted 24/09/09 07:58 AM Posted 24/09/09 07:58 AM I own an xr6T, and thinking of a custom tune and possibly injectors as well. My question is regarding insurance companies - would they be able to detect if the car has had an ecu tune? could I get away without telling them or would it be too risky?Will they put the premium up if I do these mods?Has anyone had previous similar experiences?Cheers
berzerker Legacy Donating Member 767 Member For: 18y 9m 6d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 24/09/09 08:18 AM Posted 24/09/09 08:18 AM (edited) im with AAMIThey dont care what I do to the car, long as I tell them everything Edited 24/09/09 08:18 AM by berzerker
-MARTY54- Member 124 Member For: 17y 8m 27d Posted 24/09/09 10:56 AM Posted 24/09/09 10:56 AM Bottom line, most people who modify their cars do not tell their insurance company. Really it depends on what your modifying. I'm with RACV who will let me add an exhaust only before hitting me for more $$. If your adding injectors with a tune(internal mods), your probably ok. Anyone who does exhausts, intercoolers etc without informing their insurance company is well... asking for trouble. In the event of an accident don't think the assesser doesn't know what he's looking at... HE DOES! I've known of people who have come unstuck. So... if you break your agreement(which clearly asks if you've done modifications), your insurance is void. So you may as well not have it I guess. Pretty simple.
t6xr Member 826 Member For: 18y 11m 4d Gender: Male Location: MELB STH EAST Posted 24/09/09 04:07 PM Posted 24/09/09 04:07 PM I'm with Shannons insurance, they pretty good with modifacations as long as you tell them what you have done. Personally I wouldnt risk it, give your insurance company a ring and explain what you want to do, and see if there is any $$$ difference if you do it.....its better being safe than sorry.
fordxrtfan Member 16 Member For: 19y 4m 18d Gender: Female Location: Northern NSW Posted 29/09/09 02:32 AM Posted 29/09/09 02:32 AM We searched all over and with our Mod's Shannons were the only ones at the time who would insure us...
kyle173 Legacy Donating Member 774 Member For: 17y 10m 26d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 29/09/09 03:04 AM Posted 29/09/09 03:04 AM after this I rung aami about my mods they insured me at no extra cost.
F6RD Legacy Donating Member 249 Member For: 18y 23d Gender: Male Posted 29/09/09 06:56 AM Posted 29/09/09 06:56 AM Same
gregor Member 459 Member For: 18y 1m 6d Posted 29/09/09 07:16 AM Posted 29/09/09 07:16 AM Call and ask. Most will be pretty up front with what they do and don't accept. If its too much they'll suggest you talk to just cars or shannons but they wont cancel your policy on the spot or anything like that.
Jman The Cleaning Dudes Ute Legacy Donating Member 1,308 Member For: 20y 5m 15d Gender: Male Location: Bentleigh, Vic, Australia Posted 29/09/09 08:44 AM Posted 29/09/09 08:44 AM Try brokers...Agggges ago I was insured with CGU, I later changed to a broker for CGU and ended up saving 1k p/year.
pharkit Legacy Donating Member 251 Member For: 19y 2m 22d Gender: Male Posted 29/09/09 11:21 AM Posted 29/09/09 11:21 AM I asked aami this same question and they said they recently relaxed their policy on modifying cars. I said if I got injectors, fuel pump and a tune would it affect my insurance and she said no. Also I think aami has the highest customer satisfaction rating of all the insurance companies when it comes to pay outs.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now