Jump to content

Turbo Manual Or Auto...


Is the auto stronger or the manual.  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne, Vic
Posted

sorry, the AU is a series 1 HP. The engines stock except for a decompression plate, it uses a T04 (not sure on what model) a custom intercooler (not much bigger then a BA's) all controlled by an Autonic. Mind you it runs 25psi to get that power, it hasn't had any major problems so far, but he wants more so it's rebuild time, it should be interesting to see how the stock internals have held up...

Dave.

  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratboy_ledg
  • Guests
Posted

Hey fordboy you say shift quality is good in the T5

but all the boys at work recken that everytime they

drive the turbo they say the T5 is harsh and the auto

is better....

motor was dissin the T5 but they said the auto is stronger and could handle up to 400kw which I suspect they mean 400 at the flywheel not rwkws but hey thanx guys im cheerin you sorted that out for me....

  • ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!
Posted

After a couple of thousand k's the T5 is smooth. Noticed in Motor mag they put the 2nd to 3rd shift as hard and long (....comming dear!!!!), but they never mention this goes away once the box is run in and they obviously get brand new cars to thrash around in.

If there is any weak part in the drive train it's the bloody diff and the shunt 'bang' one gets when one is spirited, will be getting this checked but don't hold much hope of a fix as Fords tolerances are pretty 'tolerant'. But apart from that I am so glad I got the manual after 4 years of auto driving.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 25d
Posted
After a couple of thousand k's the T5 is smooth.

How many km's have you done? I'm upto about 5400km and though it has gotten smoother, it's hardly nice.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne, Vic
Posted
Hey fordboy you say shift quality is good in the T5

but all the boys at work recken that everytime they

drive the turbo they say the T5 is harsh and the auto

is better....

motor was dissin the T5 but they said the auto is stronger and could handle up to 400kw which I suspect they mean 400 at the flywheel not rwkws but hey thanx guys im cheerin you sorted that out for me....

well, I've got a T5 in my EF and I've had no problems with it. what I was refering to was what MOTOR used to think of the T5 over the T56, now suddenly the tables have turned, even though they're the exact same 'boxs. I know they mean 400 flywheel kws, THIS auto was built by a performance house (I refuse to say whom). they said it was much stronger then the standard auto and was the strongest they could get them....

also I've never driven a brand new T5 so I can't comment on the way they drive new, but my T5 is almost as good a mate's dad's new E46 325i...

Dave.

  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 23y 8m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

My opinion on the ford auto vs manual? Dont stress until someone blows one up. And I mean blows one up! None of this "oh, I stripped my 3rd synchro" crap, or "I broke off my SSS shifter" attempts, I want broken pieces! As many as possible!

Because if you break bits in your car, its a sign that you are trying!!!

(no offence to anyone who has stripped syncro's or snapped off their shifter)

  • Site protagonist
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: At the lights, waiting for you.
Posted
I ordered an auto for 2 reasons:

1. The write-ups on the manual weren't that complimentry

2. I'm lazy :lol:

Ya same here B)

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kellyville, Sydney
Posted

If I am not mistaken didn't the T5 get used in all of the old Sierra's that used to run around bathurst in the late 80's. they seemed to have no prob with them 500hp+

I have driven the Auto and the manual and could not fault either of them. The manual was very nice to drive, I had no probs with the 2-3 change or the 5-3 change . I gave the manual a good workout and was very happy with they way it performed.

I think it is all up to the individual person if you prefer auto cars get the auto, if you like manuals get a manual.

I know that all manufacturers to extensive tests on all components and they would definately not put a car on the market if it had any big problems like they are suggesting with the manual gearboxes .

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with either of the gearboxes.

Doing a few small mods to give you a bit more hp I'm sure the car will cope but doing mods and doulbling the real wheel horse power of course standard components are going to have reliability problems it is just common sense.

  • potty trained
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 11d
  • Gender: Male
Posted
Because if you break bits in your car, its a sign that you are trying!!!

MS700 ... that is oh so true !

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne, Vic
Posted
I know that all manufacturers to extensive tests on all components and they would definately not put a car on the market if it had any big problems like they are suggesting with the manual gearboxes.

that's exactly right dude!!! this might have happened 20 years ago, but not NOW!!!

Dave.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...