Turbo Oil Supply Screen Cleaning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 20y 12d

Mine was spotless, but ill do it every 20 thousand even though my engine oil comes out as clean as the stuff that goes in. I over kill with my servicing always have always will.

The oil still goes through the oil filter then through the oil gallerys and through the screen to the turbo. So unless you have very crappy oil in your motor, once the screen has been cleaned I would say that 20 to 30 would be way safe. :spoton:

this is an excellent article - well done to hiddeous :nono:

I'll be looking at doing this as soon as possible. Actually I'll probably be getting someone else to do it first time around but you just never know.

cheers

• Member For: 17y 2m 14d

CAUTION

I removed mine today and found little buildup, cleaned it and it looked spotless.

I then checked it by shinning a bright led light through it, and found that 3 quarters of it was clogged up still.

Then I preceded to use compressed air and got it about 3 quarters clean, the last bit would not budge.

I fitted new o rings to filter element as old ones had gone rock hard and this is where I had another problem as when sliding in the new o rings fowled with step down diameter where filter sits causing me to damage my fitler (man rrrrr *#^), and yes I lubed o rings before sliding it in. This also was on saturday after midday, ford closed.

So what Iam saying is if you don't have access to a compressor and something to disolve any carbon grit buildup don't even bother doing it.

You need to be able to see through it or oil won't flow through.

Shine the light through from outside & view filter internally for light, if any black spots that will be dirt.

Ford at springwood QLD had Quoted me $64 for new filter.

I also found it easier to remove air box and access from top not under car as to many things in way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 21y 3m 5d

Ok for those of you that have done this, perhaps you could give me a hand here. I have located the screen but it's extremely tight in there. Do you need to take the oil filter and oil cooler off? Or just work with the space you have?

• Formerly XR6NA
  • Member For: 18y 3m 27d
Just get the bro's car as the guinea pig, then it doesn't matter so much what gets f'ed up :blush:

Oi don't give him ideas :spit:

Edited by EZ2CME