Exhaust Change

Mals BA XR6T

• Member For: 21y 4m 21d

Ripped off.

I've been waiting for close to a month to read what these guys had done with the XRT test car they have. Last issue they said they were going to make a few changes to the exhaust and report on them

Bugger

They didn't and instead they talked about the motor... which I'm sure most people had read a dozen times before.

Anyway, now they say they are going to have the exhaust done next issue!!

Zoom's a great mag, but come on guys, I'm waiting for your valuable input.. should I remove the centre muffler, or put in a 3 1/2 inch from the cat back??

I need help!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

the stock exhaust has been described as great but can be improved slightly if you rip out the central muffler

think you may find that will be their conclusion ..... :thumbsup:

• Member For: 21y 4m 21d
the stock exhaust has been described as great but can be improved slightly if you rip out the central muffler

think you may find that will be their conclusion ..... :unsure:

How do you know this, just that my guess is to remove the centre muffler, but actually don't know anyone who has done it.

Do you know first hand, or are you like me, taking the logical choice

Thanks

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
There was a thread on LS1 forum (strange place for it I know...) about mods that Martin from Zoom had done to XR6T ute and this was one that was mentioned.

thanks Falchoon ... I was trying to remember where I read it ... it caught my eye being a ute and all :huh:

Mal ... it was Martin (Zoom) who clearly mentioned it... :unsure:

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members

they look the same (the mufflers that is) though on the ute the exhaust essentially runs straight where as the sedan's zigzag around the place....

some say that the mufflers were changed since MAR03 build but not sure it has been confirmed...

if your question is "does Martin's comment apply to sedans?" ... IMO yes ... but the cabin noise in the sedan may be unacceptable ..

BTW I'd do it ! remove the centre muffler that is ... but I'm waiting for the Unichip developement to be finished later this month ... :)

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 2d

In regards to the exhaust mods it was us that put the 3.5 inch exhaust on the turbo ba and it has made a lot of difference to the way the preforms.due to drumming inside we have put two three and half inch straight though mufflers on. The exhaust has to be done from the turbo back as the dump pipe and converter are restrictive.the system was designed by southport exhaust on the gold coast. In regards to the exhaust mods it was us that put the 3.5 inch exhaust on the turbo ba and it has made a lot of difference to the way the preforms.due to drumming inside we have put two three and half inch straight though mufflers on. The exhaust has to be done from the turbo back as the dump pipe and converter are restrictive.the system was designed by southport exhaust on the gold coast.

Edited by richdave

• EVO 9 SUPPORTER
  • Member For: 21y 27d

IN REGARDS TO EXHAUST MODS;

I have fitted a 3 inch system from cat back and also a high flow 3 inch cat. converter. My ute had 232horsepower at the rear wheels before exhaust. Then I dynoed it again a week after I installed it and got 264 horsepower at the rear wheels.Mind you on the same dyno. It also runs the same boost with the new exhaust @ 4.7 psi. We even tried boosting it but the computer is so technical and smart it wont let you. We bypassed a few sensors etc. and still no gain in power only decrease.Ummmmm interesting!!!!! <_<