Exhaust Change

Mals BA XR6T

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 25d

excellent result Mal ... :thumbsup:

whatever advantage may requires some signal bending as these XRT ECs are self regulating ...

guess what I'm doing tonight :D B)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 9d
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!

A good cheap option Mal well done :thumbsup: , would be interested to see dyno performance changes.

I've just had a 3" stainless steel system fitted with a BMC carbon intake filter. I am waiting to get the after dyno done tomorrow before I post pics etc which will be tomorrow (Monday 9/6) night. My job cost $1850 all up and the note......awesome, and a bit more power (I think) :huh:

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
BLKXRT

Have you modified your utes exhaust?

More Power? Better Note?

Let us know. Thanks

I'm going to remove the centre muffler .... no doubting it ... would expect maybe 5rwkw but only with a signal bender/interceptor chip ...

my wait is for the unichip (with boost control) ... there is a delay in getting them in Aust from South Africa... should be here in the next few weeks ...

I think Mals witness to the note and Street Tuner's comment as to a simple mod to remove the c/muff is enough for me ..

getting my Ford dealer to organise the mods on the ute ... :thumbsup:

I recommend that the Ford dealer that sold the car is invited to either comment on mods ... or better still... actually do the mods

(this is not as crazy at it sounds ... )

and if that proves fruitless go to Rob Herrod Motorsport (a site sponsor) who has established strong bonds with the FoMoCo when it comes to aftermarket mods...

remember there are warranty issues, insurance issues, and "waste" of money issues ... to name a few

(sound like an ad :lol: )

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 8d

Dear BLKXRT, :D I know it has been mentioned somewhere else but I was wondering if you have done any research on how having a unichip (and possibly an exhust) would affect insurance. Im currently with AAMI and rating 1 for life. Do you know if they would continue to insure the car and if so are the premiums likely to rise?

I realise its a fairly individual question, but it never hurts to ask. ;)

• ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 9d
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!

geea, I agree, I would get my insurance people's thoughts on what mods are going to affect premiums or cover for sure.

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members

hi geea,

the insurance IM(humble)O needs to be upfront ... I have recently unichipped an $80000++ car and wasn't willing to blow it in a write-off ....

the insurer was contacted, I said I was going to modify the vehicle with a "tuning chip" and that I was leaving the original chip in place .... they said that they would continue to insure me and noted the modification on the insurance policy in writing .... a happy ending :oooh:

if the insurer would have said no .. then I would have taken my insurance elsewhere ... :angry:

the guys that actually fit the mods often know the names of insurance companies that are known to cover their work ... and I would have followed that road if I had no choice ...

these insurers have higher premiums but for someone with R1 (4life) I would expect a reasonable increase in premium and not an over the top one ... remember that modifying the car is actually pushing it up the RISK ladder ... so I reckon these alternate insurers need something for their trouble ..

one last thing ... never insure with anyone you have never heard of ... ask around... it sounds obvious but I have known of people who's policies were sold on to larger companies only to find out that there were even more conditions on their policy that effectively made their policy useless ...

cheers mate

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members

Thanks BLKXRT, a few more little questions. :oooh:

If its not a problem would you mind letting me know who you use for insurance?

I'm leaning towards the APS Unichip and cat. It seems like a good value for money upgrade while also taking the transmission into consideration. It also leaves scope for future upgrades to exhust,cold air intake and intercooler to name a few. What are your thought about heading down this path?

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members

geea ... racv .. only cause I've been with them for decades ... continuity of insurer helps IMO

the interceptor/piggyback chips (like Unichip) are definetly (IMO) the way to go ... can be called "tuning chips" without bending the truth as distinct from performance chips ...

the exhaust mods (depending on extent) are nearly expected in performance cars lately .... one can tune the car for torque or power or economy or whatever ... B)

I'm stopping at 235rwkw in my better half's sedan as that is a truck load anyway :D

the ute ... well ..235 first with chip/exhaust ... then .. do a tranny transplant maybe ... tighten the solid rear axle and then see what happens .... :bookworm:

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members

Thanks BLKXRT, you've been great. Is it nessecary to tell insurance company about an exhust change, or not really as it needs to have an exhust of some kind ?

P.S. I think I recall you mentioned that there was a delay on the Unichip. Is this correct and if so do you know how long the delay would be? :)