Exhaust Change

Mals BA XR6T

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 3d
With the exhaust system, it must RETAIN the same amount of mufflers/silencers that the car was originally complianced with. Therefore if the modification such as the removal of the centre muffler without it being replaced by anything other than a piece of pipe, the modification is illegal.

The repairer/mechanic that did the mod get's fines as well as the owner of the car.

is that based on the assumption the manufacturer has installed the minimum to meet the EPA requirements ??

what if the "exhaust component" has been installed to hold a back pressure or whatever and after changes to the engine makes the reason to have this component obsolete??

interesting stuff Plonky ...

ps ... about a 5rwkw gain maybe...oops :thumbsup:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 3m 25d

Read the Mag, and this thread.

The centre muffler was removed totally. I'd be surprised if it is illegal as removing it still stays under the ADR threshold which I think is 90dB. Reading Zoom, the XR6T is 87dB. Removing the centre muffler increased the sound a further 1.5dB.

Is there a link to the EPA site that states that it's illegal?

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 20y 11m 19d

There should be a link within the EPA site that takes you to the specific Act. It is the Protection of the Environment (Motor Vehicle Accessories) Act.

There is a paragraph that states that the exhaust system must have the same amount of mufflers that is on the standard (complianced) system.

The centre muffler may only have been put there by Ford to ensure that it passed the drive by noise test when the car was complianced.

The drive by noise test includes the noise from the exhaust, induction, wind noise and tyre noise as well as mechanical noise. A new car must meet the 91 dB limit. Believe me this is extremely hard with a standard unmodified car and as soon as you change anything the noise increases as per the test.

I don't agree with the legislation as cars now sound like a vacuum cleaner (except the XR8) and sensible modifications that increase economy or performance are prohibited because of the increase in noise.

However, the Green movement has a lot of political power in this country and as such the EPA legislation is very powerful and expensive.

Guest DEVO
  • Guests
is that based on the assumption the manufacturer has installed the minimum to meet the EPA requirements ??

what if the "exhaust component" has been installed to hold a back pressure or whatever and after changes to the engine makes the reason to have this component obsolete??

It doesn't sound like it matters why it was put there from a legal point of view, the fact that it is there in the first place means any changes need to incorporate the same number of silencers/mufflers.

91db isn't real loud- the old commy up from my place sounds like a mack truck from 50m away. :(

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 25d

I read the article but still found it a little light on in terms of actual details ie what I need to get my local exhaust shop to do. If I have read it correctly they didn't just cut out the muffler and replace it with straight pipes, they removed the entire section of the exhaust and replaced it with new fabricated pipes.

To my mind this would look a lot neater but would also be more expensive ???

Plonky - note your comments re EPA but what's worse noise or reducing emissions by improved fuel efficiency ?

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members

the centre exhaust component removed is absolutely fantastic ... recommend it to anyone ... thanks Zoom/street tuner/Martin for the great R & D :nod:

sounds a little louder but not much .... only got a 13rwkw gain (instead of 17rwkw Martin obtained) but the gain was over the existing mods and not from stock ... :nod:

just a cut and paste ... the centre exhaust component is now a pair of 2.25" pipes :D

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
blkxrt

have you checked with your dealer re warranty concerns or did you just go hell for leather and stuff em all.

my dealer is aware and is helping me ... but the bottom line ... go hell for leather and stuff em all B)

life is too short :D :D

can't get enough of it .... :innocent:

Guest 56Mainline
  • Guests

I'm getting this mod on Tues.

Well, sort of....

1st: Dyno with stock exhaust.

2nd: Remove centre muffler & replace with straight pipes then dyno again.

3rd: Replace modified stock exhaust with 3" performace system & high flow cat, then dyno again.

All this is at the performance exhaust system's manufacturer's expense.

Based on the results, I get to select what I want to do & only pay for the parts!

Bring on Tuesday!