Rik_Biel Bionic Bealie Member 271 Member For: 23y 20d Location: Perth West Oz Posted 27/03/06 01:21 PM Posted 27/03/06 01:21 PM When I had my bright light on to inspect my windscreen - see other post - I noticed my bonnet is covered with scratches from towels. They aren't exactly light either - running my fingernails over them I can actually feel them.....I use Meguirs Quik Detailer every weekend after the car has been dried off.I thought it was a great product - under normal light it brings the paint up shiny, gets rid of water marks and I thought was great.I use cotton towels (also Meguir brand) to apply and buff off. They aer pretty soft towels - I didn't think they would scratchBut it seems my loving care of my car has caused scratching :(What would be the best product to get rid of these scratches?I tried a section with my Eagle One "Wet" polish and it did nothing.Would you recommend I cease with the Quik Detailing application?Or is it likely I need softer towels?
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 14d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 27/03/06 02:09 PM Posted 27/03/06 02:09 PM Elbow grease....
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 24d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 27/03/06 07:54 PM Posted 27/03/06 07:54 PM Mate, the below thread is on the LS1 Forum is the most informative I have found.Have a good read then get to work Step by step guides to cleaning your pride and joy
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 4d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 27/03/06 10:36 PM Posted 27/03/06 10:36 PM A clay bar and some good quality polish?Come to the dyno day and you might win some NXT Generation Tech Wax
LeighD Legacy Donating Member 255 Member For: 22y 1m 12d Location: Perth Posted 27/03/06 11:31 PM Posted 27/03/06 11:31 PM I often use the Quik Detailer aswell. If you are using the applicator/towel that comes with it then you shouldn't have any problems.It is far more likely that the swirl marks are resulting from washing the car or something like that. When you read that post on the Ls1 forums, you will see where he talks about taking care when washing. It can make a big difference when you make sure that your sponge/mitt is free of all dirt particles. Same goes for your chamois.Unfortunately, some swirl marks will probably always occur. Best way to get rid of them is to have someone who knows what they are doing use a mechanical buff. Otherwise try using the meguiars paint cleaner (follow the directions properly).
Guest Guests Posted 28/03/06 01:25 AM Posted 28/03/06 01:25 AM Hey mate,Doubt it would be the Meguiars polish towels or Quik detailer. As just mentioned, small particles of dirt within a sponge, mitt, or chamois will leave fine scratches.When drying your car, its not recommended you do so in a circular fashion, some say back and forth only. For me, when you find a quality chamois or drying cloth, you lay it flat. Picking up two front corners and lift about 1-2 inches and drag the rest of the cloth in a straight line slowly.The Meguiars cloth is awesome as is the Armourall 'honeycombed' chamois. To actually remove those scratches, your going to have to use a clear coat safe, swirl remover like, again, Meguiars ScratchX, failing that, you'll need a buffing.The NXT Generation Tech Wax range is a 'WAX' which should be applied only after you have 1. Removed surface contaminant. (CLAY BAR)2. Applied a good quality polish, Canurba Wax is best (AUTOGLYM)3. Wax to apply protective coating that locks in the effects of the polishTakes ages and I've got that many various products sitting on shelves at home through trial and error, plus my ute is Black!Goodluck to yaDarren
Tee Member 29 Member For: 20y 7m 6d Posted 28/03/06 03:08 AM Posted 28/03/06 03:08 AM I found a couple of swirl marks on my bonnet on the weekend that showed up in the sun, got stuck into them with Meguiars 'Scratch-X' applied with a foam applicator, then finished off with a coat of caranuba wax. Swirls all gone You will ALWAYS get minor surface abrasion on any paint, but the notisable swirls can be removed as above.
nang3 12" member Legacy Donating Member 2,107 Member For: 21y 3m 4d Location: Perth WA Posted 28/03/06 07:36 AM Posted 28/03/06 07:36 AM You should try a mild abrasive polish like Poorboys SSR1..I redid my car on the weekend and it removed 90% of all swirls but takes a while.. these are the steps I used;1). wash car with alkaline based dishwashing liquid to remove road tar, previous polish etc, hose off2.) claybar entire car3.) wash with carwash (Zaino in my case) then chamois dry4.) apply PoorBoys SSR1 in lines (not circular), buff off after 10mins5.) apply 2 layers of Zaino Z26.) 1 payer of P21S carnauba waxthere are plenty of swirl 'fillers' but they dont really last that long and need to be redone..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now