EvilDaifu Cruise Whore Moderating Team 5,130 Member For: 21y 1m 24d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 13/03/06 01:08 PM Posted 13/03/06 01:08 PM Hiya guys, I read on a website about speed cameras and such that police prefer Late model camira SS vehicles over Ford XR6Ts or XR8s and even WRXs because of operational reasons. Anyone know what these operational reasons are specifically? Just interested. I would have thought that since the taxi industry has fairly adopted the humble Ford Falcon as their vehicle of choice that that means they consider them more serviceable and reliable. But I guess, they're after long hours of continuous use and nothing stressing like high speed pursuits that a police vehicle may be involved in. Or maybe, its just the ability to fit out the vehicle with police specific attachments.
iTec TEAM BA Legacy Donating Member 1,755 Member For: 21y 9m 22d Gender: Male Location: North of The Bridge Posted 13/03/06 04:14 PM Posted 13/03/06 04:14 PM I get alot of cops come into my work and they mainly have falcons, the highway patrol guys have a xr8 and an ss
Barry Blue Powered by Ford's 3.7 V6 = Zoom Zoom Zoom! Member 890 Member For: 21y 10m 30d Gender: Male Location: Tweed Heads Posted 13/03/06 06:58 PM Posted 13/03/06 06:58 PM Easier to fit out a Dunnydore cause you basically start out with a fairly empty shell Clarke
saleen Big Gun Legacy Donating Member 4,170 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 13/03/06 08:05 PM Posted 13/03/06 08:05 PM The copper that booked me started had an SS and started to rattle on about how their XR6T had brake shudder, split radiators and several replaced diffs and basically couldn't wait to get rid of them. What could I say to that, lol.Rob
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 13/03/06 10:57 PM Posted 13/03/06 10:57 PM You may find it's also due tot he roofline in the rear of the BA's being much lower.This is why there are not many BA Taxi's.
cobrav8 Member 1,969 Member For: 21y 6m 6d Gender: Male Location: New Zealand Posted 13/03/06 11:16 PM Posted 13/03/06 11:16 PM In NZ almost all Police cars are S Commodores or now SV6 (there are very few of any other make or model at all). I have seen one unmarked XR6, but no XR8s or XR6Ts at all that I am aware of.Taxis used to be spread between Expensive Daewoo and Falcon, but nowdays, more seem to be Falcon, or in fact more are Japanese brands - Toyotas, Nissans etc.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 13/03/06 11:17 PM Posted 13/03/06 11:17 PM We have used both commodores and falcons over the years in defence and although not huge demand on power was required, the Late model camira was the more reliable of the two. The falcons have all the usual quirks from the factory but the Late model camira only went back for a faulty door lock. I think they look at reliability over driveability.That, and they have been using commodores since the dawn of time.
Blonk Iconoclast Legacy Donating Member 4,330 Member For: 22y 2d Gender: Male Location: CH Posted 13/03/06 11:18 PM Posted 13/03/06 11:18 PM I was told that police prefer the SS over the XR due to better handling and stability (braking etc) at high speed. however the officer that told me that traded his personal monaro on a typhoon as he said the FPV were a different story altogether.Some police have refused to take the XR range above 170 kmh in a persuit but feel comfortable to 200 in a SS....
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 14/03/06 01:01 AM Posted 14/03/06 01:01 AM Five out of six HWP officers at my local station prefer the XR8 or XR6T over the SS. I can assure everyone that they have no qualms at all about doing over 200km/h in the Fords - I've witnessed it for myself However they do have more issues with the Fords - always at the workshop.
Blonk Iconoclast Legacy Donating Member 4,330 Member For: 22y 2d Gender: Male Location: CH Posted 14/03/06 02:20 AM Posted 14/03/06 02:20 AM Five out of six HWP officers at my local station prefer the XR8 or XR6T over the SS. I can assure everyone that they have no qualms at all about doing over 200km/h in the Fords - I've witnessed it for myself However they do have more issues with the Fords - always at the workshop.I personally got rid of my XR6T because it was dangerous at high speed, I bought the car particularly for track days and runs up to darwin, but after twice to a track the brakes and suspension were finished as far as I was concerned, having owned holdens prior, I can safely say I feel they are a much more high speed reliable car than the ford. I bought the FPV cause I wanted to do track days, I would not bother with an XR, either 8 or 6.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now