bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 22/10/05 02:19 AM Posted 22/10/05 02:19 AM I know of two members with powerchips and their cars keep overboosting and going into limp mode because of it (I.e. engine shuts down when under 3/4 to full throttle).I'll leave it up to them to own up.I also have a personal friend of mine that just got his installed two weeks ago, exactly the same problem as above.If you do end up getting it, make very sure you do not overtake on the wrong side of the road. Once your engine goes into limp mode your car is basically useless, and makes the possibility of a high speed head on increase.My advice, tell your brother not to bother as it's going to cause you nothing but heart ache, and you'll be lucky to get $200 for it on the second hand market.Might aswell save the money yourself and go an Edit, Exede or Unichip.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Overboost is the biggest single reason (imho) to avoid piggybacks.If Powerchip have not got it right, and you get overboost cutout, which quite a few of us (including myself) have experienced, you will be cursing it very quickly.Brian
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 20d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 22/10/05 03:50 AM Posted 22/10/05 03:50 AM I know of two members with powerchips and their cars keep overboosting and going into limp mode because of it (I.e. engine shuts down when under 3/4 to full throttle).I'll leave it up to them to own up.I also have a personal friend of mine that just got his installed two weeks ago, exactly the same problem as above.If you do end up getting it, make very sure you do not overtake on the wrong side of the road. Once your engine goes into limp mode your car is basically useless, and makes the possibility of a high speed head on increase.My advice, tell your brother not to bother as it's going to cause you nothing but heart ache, and you'll be lucky to get $200 for it on the second hand market.Might aswell save the money yourself and go an Edit, Exede or Unichip.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Overboost is the biggest single reason (imho) to avoid piggybacks.If Powerchip have not got it right, and you get overboost cutout, which quite a few of us (including myself) have experienced, you will be cursing it very quickly.Brian<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have got to agree with that Brian, I had experienced limp mode twice whilst overtaking in my T with a Piggy back , very nearly ending in tears or worse on both occasions. My tuner at the time was unable to resolve the issue. Go the edit mate
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 22/10/05 04:01 AM Posted 22/10/05 04:01 AM I know of two members with powerchips and their cars keep overboosting and going into limp mode because of it (I.e. engine shuts down when under 3/4 to full throttle).I'll leave it up to them to own up.I also have a personal friend of mine that just got his installed two weeks ago, exactly the same problem as above.If you do end up getting it, make very sure you do not overtake on the wrong side of the road. Once your engine goes into limp mode your car is basically useless, and makes the possibility of a high speed head on increase.My advice, tell your brother not to bother as it's going to cause you nothing but heart ache, and you'll be lucky to get $200 for it on the second hand market.Might aswell save the money yourself and go an Edit, Exede or Unichip.Overboost is the biggest single reason (imho) to avoid piggybacks.If Powerchip have not got it right, and you get overboost cutout, which quite a few of us (including myself) have experienced, you will be cursing it very quickly.BrianI have got to agree with that Brian, I had experienced limp mode twice whilst overtaking in my T with a Piggy back , very nearly ending in tears or worse on both occasions. My tuner at the time was unable to resolve the issue. Go the edit mate I agree.... dont risk it ..... go the edit... you can get a new edit for $950 or even cheaper if you can find one 2nd hand
EvilDaifu Cruise Whore Moderating Team 5,130 Member For: 21y 2m 4d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 22/10/05 11:48 AM Posted 22/10/05 11:48 AM Hi guys, Why is an Edit better than the Powerchip and how does an Edit prevent overboost?Thanks if someone can point me to the FAQ on this stuff if you don't want to answer directly.
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 29d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 22/10/05 12:10 PM Posted 22/10/05 12:10 PM I'll try my best here...Any piggy back (Unichip, Exede, Powerchip, etc..) works by tricking the ECU to tell it things are running normal, all whilst the piggy back puts more boost through the turbo, adds more fuel, what ever.The Ford ECU is very restrictive in standard form. If it reliases that something is not right (I.e. car putting out too more boost than 6psi which is standard) it will put the car into Limp Mode as a precaution. Whilst a piggy back can trick the ECU most of the time, it can't do it all of the time, especially when some parametres of the tuning display a massive difference to the standard system.The edit on the other hand is basically a copy of the Ford ECU. The Edit allows you to modify parametres of the Ford ECU. I.e. allow 8PSI boost, XXX AFR's, Do not Overboost till XPSI, etc..
turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 14d Location: Toowoomba Posted 22/10/05 04:12 PM Posted 22/10/05 04:12 PM though a well tuned piggy back wont give you any grief either, granted the unichip and xede cant handle the big horsepower number like the edit can (not recommended over 300rwkw apparantly) if its tuned by someone who knows what they are doing it should be fine. I thought though the powerchip product was preloaded with a map that couldnt be changed.Dazza.
geea Site protagonist Legacy Donating Member 4,320 Member For: 23y 4m 27d Gender: Male Location: At the lights, waiting for you. Posted 22/10/05 06:10 PM Posted 22/10/05 06:10 PM though a well tuned piggy back wont give you any grief either, granted the unichip and xede cant handle the big horsepower number like the edit can (not recommended over 300rwkw apparantly) if its tuned by someone who knows what they are doing it should be fine. I thought though the powerchip product was preloaded with a map that couldnt be changed.Dazza.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Xede can go over 300rwkw's no probs. Mine was running an octane booster tune of 330rwkw's that had a best of 11.5@123 I think.Geea.
cdm Member 886 Member For: 23y 11m 28d Posted 23/10/05 08:54 AM Posted 23/10/05 08:54 AM See if you could pick up a second hand unichip from somewhere. I've had both, unichip and edit. My experiences:With the unichip I experienced 0 problems whatsovever.With the edit, my car regularly stalls, there is a constant annoying ticking noise at idle, and the car feels barely quicker, if at all. Not to mention I have been having problems with the cruise control since I got it, and the after going back to the company 3-4 times they still didn't fix anything or setup the launch control as requested.
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 23/10/05 09:06 AM Posted 23/10/05 09:06 AM See if you could pick up a second hand unichip from somewhere. I've had both, unichip and edit. My experiences:With the unichip I experienced 0 problems whatsovever.With the edit, my car regularly stalls, there is a constant annoying ticking noise at idle, and the car feels barely quicker, if at all. Not to mention I have been having problems with the cruise control since I got it, and the after going back to the company 3-4 times they still didn't fix anything or setup the launch control as requested.is it custom tuned?? have you gapped your plugs??
cdm Member 886 Member For: 23y 11m 28d Posted 23/10/05 12:00 PM Posted 23/10/05 12:00 PM See if you could pick up a second hand unichip from somewhere. I've had both, unichip and edit. My experiences:With the unichip I experienced 0 problems whatsovever.With the edit, my car regularly stalls, there is a constant annoying ticking noise at idle, and the car feels barely quicker, if at all. Not to mention I have been having problems with the cruise control since I got it, and the after going back to the company 3-4 times they still didn't fix anything or setup the launch control as requested.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>is it custom tuned?? have you gapped your plugs??<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes to tune (by probably the most reputable tuner), and yes to plugs.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now