Jump to content

Do you think she knew the drugs were there?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

  • Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Shire, Middle Earth
Posted

Indonesia (as any country) has the right to implement a justice system suitable to their needs and priorities.

Drugs are clearly a very high priority for the Indonesians and therefore the justice system is weighted with a view to zero tolerance towards drugs and drug traffickers.

I have no idea of the accused's guilt or innocence. That's not important, I'm not sitting on the bench.

It's very difficult to keep personal feelings, emotions and hype out of this, she is an ozzie after all and as the saying goes, "There but for the grace of God go I".

I wish her justice, whatever that may be. I wish her family peace. I wish I had a magic wand, but I don't ...

:spoton:

  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mildura
Posted
absolute and utter crock of  :msm: cant believe 20 years for weed guilty or not

Indonesia can belt it up there :blink: Boycott the  :msm:  hole stay away from there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree 110%!!!!!

who'd wanna go there anyway...its just a larger version of "Cheap as Chips" anyway!!! :msm:

:pooh: hole..

  • FORD FORD FORD
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side
Posted

A waste of a young life, personally I think she is innocent

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 8m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: brisbane
Posted
The Indonesian legal system is based on being innocent until proven guilty, just like ours. The difference when it comes to drugs under their law is that they don't have to prove you knew about the drugs. The fact that the drugs were in her bag, and she admitted the bag was hers, is enough. This also meant she was pretty much doomed from the start, unless her defence team could find someone else to admit the drugs were actually theirs, or convincing evidence of someone else putting it in her bag.

exactly.... so If I had my car windows open at a shop... I ran in for milk... some1 threw in 1 kg of pot into the back seat of my car..... I got pulled over and charged... I would automatically be found guilty under indonesian law... and it would mean that my defence team would have to prove my innocence and not the other way around.

Yes they say that over there your innocent until proven guilty.... but their one eyed legal system doesnt support that scenario :blink:

  • The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 22d
  • Location: Dodge Scat Pack
Posted

Please remember that for a multi cultural country we are supposed to respect the culture of the particular country.

Indonesia has a judicial system based upon what the Govermnemt want (which is reflective of the people) and that democratic system of Govt. has only been in for a short period of time. The system is INQUISITORIAL, same as in Italy, France and Germany.

You CANNOT impose Western democratic ideals upon a country that does not have them and expect their judicial sysem to reflect what we believe in, in this country.

Indonesia has a DEATH penalty for traffickable quantities of Schedule 1 drugs - Corby had that quantity. We, as a mutlicultural society that we keep telling each other we have, have to respect the laws and traditions that Indonesia have. If that means 20 years penal servitude within the inquisitorial justice system that Indonesia have, then so be it.

You cannot be racist and say that we will boycott Indonesia in regards to humanitarian aid, financial assistance etc just because we disagree with their legal system and any alleged injustice to a half good sort caught with a big bag of smoko.

Look at the issue - are we outraged because she is not a bad looking chick that seems to have been an unwitting drug mule

Are we outraged at a heavy sentence to an offence that some people see as trivial

Do we resent the fact that the Indonesian Govt should show special compensation to an Australian accused of a criminal offence in Indonesia because we have supplied money, lives and aid to a country devastated by a natural disaster

When you look at your reasons why you are so outraged as to the verdict the you will realise the true reason as to why you are outraged:

You don't like their legal system and values therefore you believe your legal system and values are more superior - racism

You don't believe that cannabis trafficking is serious and deserves a long prison sentence - ergo your value system is better than the system in the country the offence occurred in - racism

You belive that the Indonesian Govt should show special dispensation to an inhabitant of a country that supplied lives, money and aid during a tsunami - compensation

She has been convicted by a Court in another Country that is a neighbour and could be a fearsome therat - respect the decision !

  • Lemming No #5
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Endeavour Hills, Victoria
Posted
Indonesia (as any country) has the right to implement a justice system suitable to their needs and priorities.

Drugs are clearly a very high priority for the Indonesians and therefore the justice system is weighted with a view to zero tolerance towards drugs and drug traffickers.

I have no idea of the accused's guilt or innocence. That's not important, I'm not sitting on the bench.

It's very difficult to keep personal feelings, emotions and hype out of this, she is an ozzie after all and as the saying goes, "There but for the grace of God go I".

I wish her justice, whatever that may be. I wish her family peace. I wish I had a magic wand, but I don't ...

:wedgie:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smartest thing that has come out of this thread ken, well said :whistle:

  • Flaccid Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: NOONAMAH, go figure.....
Posted
Please remember that for a multi cultural country we are supposed to respect the culture of the particular country.

Indonesia has a judicial system based upon what the Govermnemt want (which is reflective of the people) and that democratic system of Govt. has only been in for a short period of time.  The system is INQUISITORIAL, same as in Italy, France and Germany.

You CANNOT impose Western democratic ideals upon a country that does not have them and expect their judicial sysem to reflect what we believe in, in this country.

Indonesia has a DEATH penalty for traffickable quantities of Schedule 1 drugs - Corby had that quantity.  We, as a mutlicultural society that we keep telling each other we have, have to respect the laws and traditions that Indonesia have.  If that means 20 years penal servitude within the inquisitorial justice system that Indonesia have, then so be it.

You cannot be racist and say that we will boycott Indonesia in regards to humanitarian aid, financial assistance etc just because we disagree with their legal system and any alleged injustice to a half good sort caught with a big bag of smoko.

Look at the issue - are we outraged because she is not a bad looking chick that seems to have been an unwitting drug mule

Are we outraged at a heavy sentence to an offence that some people see as trivial

Do we resent the fact that the Indonesian Govt should show special compensation to an Australian accused of a criminal offence in Indonesia because we have supplied money, lives and aid to a country devastated by a natural disaster

When you look at your reasons why you are so outraged as to the verdict the you will realise the true reason as to why you are outraged:

You don't like their legal system and values therefore you believe your legal system and values are more superior - racism

You don't believe that cannabis trafficking is serious and deserves a long prison sentence - ergo your value system is better than the system in the country the offence occurred in - racism

You belive that the Indonesian Govt should show special dispensation to an inhabitant of a country that supplied lives, money and aid during a tsunami - compensation

She has been convicted by a Court in another Country that is a neighbour and could be a fearsome therat - respect the decision !

Yeah plonk,

and by the same logic the Taliban had every right to shoot women in the back of the head for having the temerity to dare and drive a car.....

It's our responsability to fight injustice whenever /.wherever we see it. If we took responability and fixed up some of these sh!tty spots in the world, prhaps there wouldn't be a refugee problem?

Sorry, 20 years for some mull is horsesh!tte.

don't think for a second they return us the same respect for our laws that you have for thiers.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

I agree with Plonky, each country has a right to govern as they see fit. The whole world was not born out of the British empire and as such there will always be differing views on things from ours.

Do I think that she is guilty, yes.

Do I feel she has been harshly done by, yes.

But that is the opinion of a 30 year old man who has been raised and only ever known western culture and the Westminster system, just because we as Australians believe it is unjust and unfair doesn't make it so and to suggest pulling aid to the millions of people, many of them children who need help after the Tsunami is truley petty, that is putting one cute surfer chick in front of a generation of childern and is just wrong.

Sure as sh*t if I was born and raised in Bali I would see the whole case from a very different angle. And what some of us are really saying here is that we believe ourselves to be superior to those third world nitwits and we should do something about it.

Follow that train of thought through to it's conclusion and Hitler was right in thinking that his race was better and had the right to press apon the world it's values and beliefs to the harshest extent.

Any half intelligent individual knows the laws of Indonesia in relation to drugs and as such takes a risk every time they travel there.

I haven't said she deserves it or that it is right, it is just right to the people of Indonesia and that is what counts as that is where the crime and judgement was made.

  • Flaccid Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: NOONAMAH, go figure.....
Posted
  And what some of us are really saying here is that we believe ourselves to be superior to those third world nitwits and we should do something about it.

Yup and I make no bones about it.

that's what I'm saying, and if you don't think that they think were a bunch of primitive infidels, think again......

did she smuggle drugs? I don't care

did she blow up 202 people?

I don't think so.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

I never said it was right, I just said it was the way of the Indonesian people and I personally respect the right of other individuals or countries to have different ideals and beliefs than me.

I agree it is wrong and I strongly agree that that some of the bombing conspiritors got off lightly although the evidence against them (The planners not the ones that carried it out) was weaker than the evidence against Corby.

If they think I am a primitive infidel then so be it, that's the great thing about this world most of the time, you can have your own opinion about anyone else without them trying to kill you for it.

Yes I too believe we are a more developed society than them but I am not about to force my ways upon them, what right would I have to do that?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...