vixen Member 13 Member For: 21y 9m 21d Posted 08/04/05 03:46 AM Posted 08/04/05 03:46 AM Hi fellas,I'm just wondering you you guys can shed some light on this. I always drive my car on Premium, and have been averaging around 14.7 L/100 (5000 kms SSS car). Got the sh*ts with the price of fuel one day and put in unleaded. Didn't notice any performance drop, but it felt quite responsive and seemed stronger. I also averaged 14 L/100 on the unleaded tank.Is there any explanation for this, I was driving the vehicle the same way for both tanks., or do I try unleaded again for experiment purposes.
harvyk Member 1,070 Member For: 21y 7m 3d Location: The North Cooma End of Canberra... Posted 08/04/05 05:22 AM Posted 08/04/05 05:22 AM As far as I know the 2 main differences between unleaded and premium are1. Premium is a higher octane fuel (95 Ron as appose to 92 Ron)2. Unleaded hasn't been as well refined therefore you may need to change fuel filters more often...I used to own a subi which I noticed the better L / 100K on premium (to the point the extra mileage outweighed the extra cost) but I think with the XR6T the real advantage between unleaded and premium will be an extra performance boost on premium... (This has what I have noticed between Premium and Unleaded + the dealer mentioned it on the first day I looked at one)
C.S.I Member 651 Member For: 21y 9m 18d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast Posted 08/04/05 05:34 AM Posted 08/04/05 05:34 AM Mines got 10,000 klicks, and runs marginally better on premium, and gets better milage, which makes up the cost increase. Maybe you've got dodgy premium fuel ??
fordboy1981 Legacy Donating Member 2,076 Member For: 23y 8m 16d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Vic Posted 08/04/05 06:31 AM Posted 08/04/05 06:31 AM turbo or non-turbo??unleaded, where as it doesn't have a higher rating thus making it more ping resistant it does have a slower burn rate, which in a stock car situation would perform better..Dave.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 08/04/05 10:09 AM Posted 08/04/05 10:09 AM I notice much better economy when I use Shell premium (not optimax)compared to BP Ultimate
BlueXR6Turbo The Best Member Legacy Donating Member 1,970 Member For: 23y 8m 24d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 09/04/05 05:54 AM Posted 09/04/05 05:54 AM What sort of premium was being used? 98RON, Woolworths cheap sh*t, or something in between?
vixen Member 13 Member For: 21y 9m 21d Posted 11/04/05 01:42 AM Author Posted 11/04/05 01:42 AM I think some cheap sh*t 95 octane at a small back steet servo. Next top up, I will try more of the premium stuff from Shell or Caltex.
Space Ace Member 446 Member For: 21y 8m 15d Location: Melbourne, Victoria Posted 11/04/05 02:57 AM Posted 11/04/05 02:57 AM I've tried most of the freely available premium fuels - Shell Otpimax (98 RON), BP Ultimate (98 RON), BP Premium (95 RON) & Caltex Vortex (95 RON) - and for me it appeared that the Vortex was best in performance and economy. Having said that, you do occasionally get bad batches of this stuff which makes the T go like a slug.
Cobra potty trained Legacy Donating Member 1,938 Member For: 23y 5m 8d Gender: Male Posted 11/04/05 03:10 AM Posted 11/04/05 03:10 AM I've had cars that run better and get better economy on ulp compared to pulp ... got one now ... be interested in any theories (given the same fuel runs like a charm in another car)
loaded Member 77 Member For: 22y 7m 28d Location: sydney Posted 12/04/05 01:38 AM Posted 12/04/05 01:38 AM I have noticed through my experiences with trying all the fuels on the market that the Vortex works the best for me.Peter
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now