F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 21/12/04 04:53 AM Posted 21/12/04 04:53 AM I took one for a 'spirited' drive today. And after grinning like a school kid initially, well, I was just plain dissapointed..My recount of the experience..Looks the goods, don't even mind the rims,interior is 'comfy' but not 'sporty' imo.. ie, seats have bolster, but about as much support as a bean bag.Smooth as power delivery, very sophisticated in it's manner.Gearbox is a sweet unit, it has some feel to it, I liked that. Clutch, no feel and too light. I need to know I have a clutch in my car....Pushed hard, it was like an asthmatic. took till 3500 to get it's ass into gear, then it had bugger all 'PUNCH' after that. Yes, we were going quickly, but that was just speed in general.Handling, well it sticks to the road, for a big girl, I had the Limmiter kick in on a tight sweeper in 2nd gear, spoiling the ( near ) fun. I dunno, it's just not the kind of power delivery I like..Yes it has torque, but geez, the fact still remains, it's not that quik..... Yeah, it gets up and boogies, but damn I expected so much more.I am, probably not being truly 'fair' in my opinions of this car.Reason being, I have jumped out of a AWD 2lt Early evo into a big 'saloon', if u like. The smaller car appeals to me, and that aggression in 1st, 2nd, 3rd is like getting smacked around by Iron Mike. . 1/4 in 12.5, as you drive it everyday, it's not in the same class as the F6, and I know that.. Yes, I would buy one, If it had more poke.. and more low down urgency.FOR WHAT IT IS, the F6 was a good drive, but it's more of a cruiser, like the GT, with family comfort in mind, and bang about in it when the missus decides to stay home.. I wouldn't call it a 'performance' car. They make sacrafices on comfort and ride/handling IMO and MAKE you want to drive until the sun rises again.I REALLY wanted to like the car enough to buy it, but well, once you've been in a quik AWD, there IS NO turning back.Feel free to flame at your wish, but I probably will end up with a XR6T and get myself another early evo for the track days, best of both worlds... If a mate had bought it, I would probably say to him, " Geez mate, damn nice car you got yourself, goes bloody good too" "Like the look of it, better en those HSV's I think"And when he pulls out my driveway to go home, I think to myself he somehow got ripped off... but I don't know why.
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 21/12/04 05:06 AM Posted 21/12/04 05:06 AM I took one for a 'spirited' drive today. And after grinning like a school kid initially, well, I was just plain dissapointed..My recount of the experience..Looks the goods, don't even mind the rims,interior is 'comfy' but not 'sporty' imo.. ie, seats have bolster, but about as much support as a bean bag.Smooth as power delivery, very sophisticated in it's manner.Gearbox is a sweet unit, it has some feel to it, I liked that. Clutch, no feel and too light. I need to know I have a clutch in my car....Pushed hard, it was like an asthmatic. took till 3500 to get it's ass into gear, then it had bugger all 'PUNCH' after that. Yes, we were going quickly, but that was just speed in general.Handling, well it sticks to the road, for a big girl, I had the Limmiter kick in on a tight sweeper in 2nd gear, spoiling the ( near ) fun. I dunno, it's just not the kind of power delivery I like..Yes it has torque, but geez, the fact still remains, it's not that quik..... Yeah, it gets up and boogies, but damn I expected so much more.I am, probably not being truly 'fair' in my opinions of this car.Reason being, I have jumped out of a AWD 2lt Early evo into a big 'saloon', if u like. The smaller car appeals to me, and that aggression in 1st, 2nd, 3rd is like getting smacked around by Iron Mike. . 1/4 in 12.5, as you drive it everyday, it's not in the same class as the F6, and I know that.. Yes, I would buy one, If it had more poke.. and more low down urgency.FOR WHAT IT IS, the F6 was a good drive, but it's more of a cruiser, like the GT, with family comfort in mind, and bang about in it when the missus decides to stay home.. I wouldn't call it a 'performance' car. They make sacrafices on comfort and ride/handling IMO and MAKE you want to drive until the sun rises again.I REALLY wanted to like the car enough to buy it, but well, once you've been in a quik AWD, there IS NO turning back.Feel free to flame at your wish, but I probably will end up with a XR6T and get myself another early evo for the track days, best of both worlds... If a mate had bought it, I would probably say to him, " Geez mate, damn nice car you got yourself, goes bloody good too" "Like the look of it, better en those HSV's I think"And when he pulls out my driveway to go home, I think to myself he somehow got ripped off... but I don't know why.<{POST_SNAPBACK}> My sentiments exactly, after 2000 ks in the thing I bought I couldn't agree with you more. The worst part is it could have been such an awesome car, maybe one day all the corolla drivers at FPV will put their academic heads out of where they shouldn't be and wake up to the real world on a real road The Typhoon may have failed out of the PCOTY (twice) but it is definate contender for the "Australias Greatest Over-rated POS Award" and it would probably win hands down The worst thing is I was stupid enough to buy one
TurboDewd FG Falcon fan! Member 1,452 Member For: 23y 2m 29d Gender: Male Location: Canberra Posted 21/12/04 05:08 AM Posted 21/12/04 05:08 AM I REALLY wanted to like the car enough to buy it, but well, once you've been in a quik AWD, there IS NO turning back.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>*cough* bullsh*t *cough*Ive driven a tweaked '93 Lancer GSR and it was indeed great fun, the handling was great and the steering was awesome. However, each to their own, after 5 years in a heavy clutch manual I wanted an auto and Im not aware of ANY 4WD Jap jobbie which puts out a respectable auto option.
Geeseman Legacy Donating Member 1,805 Member For: 22y 11m 8d Location: Sydney Posted 21/12/04 05:10 AM Posted 21/12/04 05:10 AM The worst thing is I was stupid enough to buy one I'll give your 5 bucks for yours then!
F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 21/12/04 05:13 AM Author Posted 21/12/04 05:13 AM I'm talking about a manual car, and would own nothing other that a manual, if I were to 'enjoy' driving, as you say, each to there own, that wasn't a dig.auto and performance car, in the same sentance, oops.... DRAGS ASIDE PPL I'm a track work person, so my opinion is based on that, and yes, autos have there merits.
JB Forum Superhero Legacy Donating Member 3,109 Member For: 22y 10m 8d Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico Posted 21/12/04 05:16 AM Posted 21/12/04 05:16 AM I took one for a 'spirited' drive today. And after grinning like a school kid initially, well, I was just plain dissapointed..My recount of the experience..Looks the goods, don't even mind the rims,interior is 'comfy' but not 'sporty' imo.. ie, seats have bolster, but about as much support as a bean bag.Smooth as power delivery, very sophisticated in it's manner.Gearbox is a sweet unit, it has some feel to it, I liked that. Clutch, no feel and too light. I need to know I have a clutch in my car....Pushed hard, it was like an asthmatic. took till 3500 to get it's ass into gear, then it had bugger all 'PUNCH' after that. Yes, we were going quickly, but that was just speed in general.Handling, well it sticks to the road, for a big girl, I had the Limmiter kick in on a tight sweeper in 2nd gear, spoiling the ( near ) fun. I dunno, it's just not the kind of power delivery I like..Yes it has torque, but geez, the fact still remains, it's not that quik..... Yeah, it gets up and boogies, but damn I expected so much more.I am, probably not being truly 'fair' in my opinions of this car.Reason being, I have jumped out of a AWD 2lt Early evo into a big 'saloon', if u like. The smaller car appeals to me, and that aggression in 1st, 2nd, 3rd is like getting smacked around by Iron Mike. . 1/4 in 12.5, as you drive it everyday, it's not in the same class as the F6, and I know that.. Yes, I would buy one, If it had more poke.. and more low down urgency.FOR WHAT IT IS, the F6 was a good drive, but it's more of a cruiser, like the GT, with family comfort in mind, and bang about in it when the missus decides to stay home.. I wouldn't call it a 'performance' car. They make sacrafices on comfort and ride/handling IMO and MAKE you want to drive until the sun rises again.I REALLY wanted to like the car enough to buy it, but well, once you've been in a quik AWD, there IS NO turning back.Feel free to flame at your wish, but I probably will end up with a XR6T and get myself another early evo for the track days, best of both worlds... If a mate had bought it, I would probably say to him, " Geez mate, damn nice car you got yourself, goes bloody good too" "Like the look of it, better en those HSV's I think"And when he pulls out my driveway to go home, I think to myself he somehow got ripped off... but I don't know why.Thanks XRT UTE, well put thoughts on your experince with the Typhoon, with no obvious bias attached. Interesting to read peoples personal opinions, like Doc and yourself from what I have experienced, I could not agree with your more.
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 21/12/04 05:17 AM Posted 21/12/04 05:17 AM The worst thing is I was stupid enough to buy one <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll give your 5 bucks for yours then! <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now that's just silly Geeseman The Subaru dealer offered $10 Regardless there is a big tear (as in rip up) coming
doublek Member 333 Member For: 22y 3m 5d Location: sydney Posted 21/12/04 05:29 AM Posted 21/12/04 05:29 AM hypnodoc, it sounds as though from your initial experiences of the car, to what your feelings are now, are totally different. is the car really that bad or were you expecting a whole lot more. I remember you did the gt comparo back a while ago. I am just curious as to if you would change your mind on that one after driving the typhoon for a while now.
RATT Member 230 Member For: 23y 10m 28d Location: Sydney Posted 21/12/04 06:36 AM Posted 21/12/04 06:36 AM I think the biggest issue here is that expectations were very high, not the fact that the car is that bad. Also it's a tough call to compare an F6 to a modified AWD EVO. Go see you local APS/ Chiptorque dealer and get more grunt that way and then compare the two.
tur Flight 6 Member 471 Member For: 23y 2m 1d Posted 21/12/04 06:43 AM Posted 21/12/04 06:43 AM Yeah doc I have to agree with you its not all its said to be its All JUST TORQUE if u know what I mean, I would be in the situation as you if I bought one had problems already after pay $60k + for the car. FPV lift your game and get it right
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now