-
Posts
214 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by arm79
-
Are you sure it's build #58?
-
There is a link, I cant remember if its from that Jag site or not, about being able to teach the box not to shunt like that in adaptive mode. Was something one of the BMW guys found out. From memory it was accelerate to 100 in 6th, then roll to a stop on each go. Do this 6 or so times, and it helped teach the box how to shift properly. Didn't solve it or make it fully go away, but did help. If you read the link from the BM driver that took a ZF guy out for a drive, he's basically been told its unfixable. Is the base software in the box that causes that, and is not something Ford can fix. Its essentially a built-in "feature" that can be fixed. I remember when I first got the car, variant 1 almost put the front of my car into a wall a couple of times, until I got used to it. Although I ended up getting a new auto from ZF, for other reasons, and that seemed to have made the problems less noticable. Its still there, but scarcely noticable.
-
Maybe its got some very loose manifold bolts... Or loose or no turbo bolts... Always amazes me how quickly they come loose and how sluggish the car feels when they are loose. If you haven't done so, maybe check the basics like hose clamps and bolts. Make sure nothing's leaking. I know when mine was delivered, the rubber joiner between the throttle body and cross over was not put on right and wedged into the throttle. Car went like crap until I found that.
-
Ford actually had them on sale for a while apparently. Down to $22 a coil. I grabbed some from the Bayford Superstore for $30 each, as that's the current price. Can be 500% assured they are genuine then.
-
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
I suppose the only answer to that can come from someone like ratter... As a tuner, can he tell us that even without X1 support in the software, can he remove or load a tune (a binary file of sorts I'm guessing) from an X1 unit? Or does this type of function require the software to have X1 support? If the tranferring still works, and all they have taken away is the ability to use and modify X1 bins, then technically s#!t creek is where we are at, but at least with a paddle for the time being. Maybe need to start exploring this avenue against CAPA as well. -
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
lol... You dont read very well... I'm not a tuner. What I do is in the post of mine you quoted. All I'm doing is playing devils advocate on the information and advice I have been given so far. With that I've posed a couple of questions here that I've yet to have answered. Granted its been less than 24 hours, so I'll just wait. But when you rang the ACCC, did you just give an emotive personal rant, or did you give them all the facts about what SCT and Herrod have said and quoted plus your rant? All I'm saying there will always be 2 sides and you need to be mindful of the other, which I think might be getting glossed over. And that's why I've mostly given up. Besides, I would have thought will all your inside info into the case you'd be sitting back and crossing your arms just waiting for the X1's to be turned back on in the very near future. I still think its a bit unfair you're holding out potential valuable information. -
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
No, as I'd guess each box came with a big disclaimer saying "All care but no responsibility if you use this. Get a dyno tune immediately after to see if it suits your car" No, because I don't believe it was ever said one was available. It's always been "on the way". At the moment its nothing more than a tease. Dont be silly. 50 random emotive non core issue sooks is not a legal case for getting your way. How does your above comments make SCT liable for switching off the X1? Got to be realistic and not emotive, as the ACCC doesn't run on emotions or morals. Just facts and law. If you read back, this was already discussed. And yes, there is a potential for this to happen. But because of the extra security built into the X3 devices, then SCT are unlikely to do the same thing. It's pretty simple, because SCT have decided not to turn off tuning capabilities for the X3 in their software. You're confusing the way we used these devices for what the advertised and documented INTENDED USE is. And that's the line that SCT will fall back on. Just because we are using them to tune many times over, doesn't mean that's what SCT envisioned their use for. If you read back to some of the quote from SCT, then you will see. -
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
Yep, I saw that and read that... So playing devils advocate again, where does it say retune and therefore loading new tunes to the box? To me that says there is no limit on how many times data can be transferred back and forth, so its not finite like the number of cars it can be used on. One can argue that line means we can upload whatever tunes the tuners have saved for us right now as many times as we require. Or remove one of the custom tunes from the box and replace it with one from a library of tunes you or your tuner may have. Its forcing a leading and unqualified assumption on our part. If you read further, that same line appears on the X3 sales blurb on the CAPA site... BUT NOT on the Herrod or SCT site. Does that mean that CAPA has made a sales promise that the manufacturer and their current distributor don't support? SCT have always maintained to me via email that how we are using these devices is not the intended use. If CAPA have lead us to believe otherwise, and every X1 box sold in Australia came via CAPA, then our beef really is with CAPA. -
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
And herein lies the problem with action against SCT. Find me one bit of documentation anywhere on the web where it says the primary function of these tuning boxes is the ability to reprogram them over and over. All you will find is that you can upload 3 tunes and swap between these tunes at anytime. It doesn't say we can reprogram any of those tunes after the inital load, nor does it say we can do it over and over again. The same sales blub is used for the X3. I quote this from an email from Charlie at SCT "The intended use (switching between calibrations) is still available. The unfortunate part is that we cannot continue with offering flashing capabilities." Seeing as their marketings and sales blubs all say the intended use is to switch between tunes already on the box, then they haven't disabled the intended use of the box. The way we were using them is different than what was intended. Therefore the statement that Herrod released was a very well worded "screw you". It too said its intended use was not compromised. But no where did it say a tuner will be able to tune them forever. The most we can be pissed with Herrod about is not specifically saying "SCT will disable the software that allows addition tunes sometime in the future, get ready". I think everyone, including me, has made an assumption that is in the end not correct. I bought this up with one of the directors at work, an ex solicitor. He's basically said SCT's case is good and ours is weak. The only way for SCT to have breached any laws is to have advertised the use as being "to be able to tune over and over with no expiry". Omitting this little detail when discussing the issue on a legal level makes the whole difference. At this point, I'd pretty much given up. Out of curiousity, did you mention this to the ACCC or Consumer Affairs when you made the complaint? And should action continue against SCT or Herrod, I'm sure this the line they will fall back on. Find something as advertised by SCT, Herrord or Capa about the retuning abilities, you'll win. I couldn't find anything though. As I said, I'm happy to help fund something, and even lodge a complaint, against SCT to hopefully see a favourable outcome. I'm not trying to knock what you guys are doing, but in my job as an analyst, I'm paid to look at both sides, every variable and see what possible outcomes there are. My fingers are very lightly crossed. -
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
I wish you luck with it, and I'm happy to throw a few $$$ your way to help with the costs. But I believe any action against SCT and Herrod will fail, as much as I seriously hope it wont. I've pretty much given up, as they really haven't broken any laws. They screwed us, but its more moral than anything. -
I work for the company that distrubtes all of Yamaha's stuff... I've always wondered whats in those DTX boxes, and now I know. Cant offer any advice apart from, go Yamaha. All their stuff is good, but mainly because they pay my wages.
-
Sounds normal to me. I see anywhere from 8.5 to 20L/100km as an average depending how I drive and where I drive. Work is a 7km trip from home for me, so a 14km daily trip. I average 17 to 18L/100km just doing that trip 5 days a week. If I drive really really gently, I can get that down to a 14 to 15, but that's about the best. An early morning 25km run into the city will see about 15 to 16L/100km average in easy stop start traffic. I'm to understand that a tuned car will generally get better consumption once they turn off some of the "features" built into the ECU. Obviously not while boosting and driving hard, but in general driving duties.
-
Could also be the upper idler pulley. Pretty common for them to get noisy as they age.
-
I'd start by making sure the antenna amplifier is plugged in properly and the bolt that holds it down is grounded properly. This amplifier box is also the power "conduit" for the rear demister power. It's located on passenger C pillar. Just have to pull trim off (its just clipped on, so just pull). If you pull the drivers C pillar cover off, check to make sure the demister ground is plugged in properly and the plug hasn't cracked and fallen off the window... Or has a poor ground against the body. If the ground is bad, it may be trying to ground backwards via the antenna amp and that's causing the problem. Worst case, the antenna amp has shat itself and needs to be replaced. It's like a $5 item from the wreckers, and there should be plenty out there to grab and test with.
-
You sure you have the right discs as spares? And that your verniers are working properly? Brand new, all brands (inc Factory) are only 32mm thick. You've got something special if they are 33/34mm used. How long the rotors last is more down to pad selection than anything.
-
30mm is minimum... Original thickness is 32mm, so they dont have alot of life.
-
Admittedly I didn'd find them either on any searches I did. Then someone say Bayford store and I was straight there. Saved the wheel aligner a fortune. He thought he was up for $1000 for a $60 job when I first complained about the damage he did. They must have heaps, cos they had 10 available when I got mine in April.
-
Doubting me are you? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-Suits-BA-BF-XR6-XR8-MOMO-Sports-Steering-Wheel-/250666141205?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5cddc615
-
Unfortunately for sellers, Ford has these up on ebay for $299 to clear old stocks. Just devalues all the ones out there. I guess you could ask upto $200 if it was perfect. When a wheel aligner damaged mine, they replaced it with a new one for $299 from Bayford, and sold the existing one to a mate for $50. that's all the aligner considered it was worth in the scheme of things.
-
Depending on condition, $100 to $150 I'd say.
-
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
Are you nuts, this is definitely not a job for ACA or Today Tonight. I can see it now "Viewers, did you know that for as little as $2000 an 18yo P-Plater can double the power of their basic Ford Falcon and turn it into a weapon of mass distruction... Who is policing this???" -
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
And here is SCT's email reply to me on that fact: So either Herrod's post was very carefully worded to allow an eventual user screwing... Or SCT have just dumped Herrod in a position of making us a promise that he is now liable for. -
Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion
arm79 replied to senna_T's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
All I have is what I reported in earlier posts. Plus the same info I got from Rob Herrod over the phone that you got. Yes, I've spoken to Rob too. Basically a stack of emails between me and SCT where SCT have basically said even though Herrod made that promise to us all, they (SCT) never had any intention of honouring it. So bend over, shut up and take it between the cheeks... And they've basically hung Herrod out to dry and left the responsibility on them. I've offered these emails to anyone who wants as further support for their cases with Consumer Affairs and the ACCC. I've also offered to post them on here if people wanted to see. And I did read the second last line. Seeing as its private legal action and someone may have disclosed something, its obviously not that important and you can pass it on. All I'm suggesting is ranting and raving is not going to get this fixed. Everyone has been over the same stories 5 times now, like yourself. The only way to fix it is for people like us to fund a lawsuit against Herrod and SCT... Or all of us affected to lodge complaints with the ACCC and Consumer Affairs and hope they might be able to sort something out in the next 3 years. It doesn't help our case when SCT log on to read this post and see us acting and complaining like children in the lolly aisle. -
So this is the sincerest form of flattery hey... Getting something that looks so close to mine... I'm touched mate.
-
No pics... Didn't happen. This bloke is known to be full of s%1t.
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.