Diff noise or wheel bearing

Boosting_G6E

• Member For: 8y 2m 4d

Hey

new owner to a xr6 FG here have only had the car for 4 -5K km but its louder then my last FG ute 

have got some rear end noise which I cant pin point it sounds as if it is coming from the rear left hand side rear wheel like tyre noise

was wondering do these bearings go often for you guys and if so do they start sounding like noisy tyres as I am experiencing ?

it really seems to be nosiest at 40-60km and consistent I believe on and off the throttle

have tried jacking it up and running it to 40km on stands but its just to scary to go under it etc

Edited by Boosting_G6E

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 26d

Would you be able to possibly film it? Could really help!

Its easy to add to the forum too, just upload a vid to yt. Set the vid to unlisted if you don't want it public, paste vid link into the thread :) 

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 25d

When I first got my car and was driving at 55-58km/h the diff would whine. At first I thought it was the wife in the boot.

Had to go to seaview ford about 4 times and finally got the service manager in the car for a drive. 

He heard it right away and got the diff replaced under warranty. I doubt you have warranty right now, but if you were to get into my car, you could have checked to see if you heard the same noise.

Sorry I am not able to help.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 28d

Could try this, if it's a wheel baring the noise usually varies with load, driving hard around a left hand corner, the car will lean and transfer the weight to the right hand side. If it's a wheel bearing the noise should change (usually go's quiter) try it through a right hand corner to load up the other side. If the noise does'nt change it could be the diff (that noise should then vary with the amount of power put through it) If you think it"s tyre's, try different road surface's (for testing purpose's don't be afraid of running directionable tyre's backwards)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 8y 2m 4d

hey sorry for the late reply

well I did both wheel bearings started of with the left side the bearing cap looked pretty scoured a few tiny pieces of flakes replaced it and no change the left side tells me it would be more worn etc which it was but no change

so I did the drivers side rear the bearing looked perfect there was very very minimal pitting and it was in fresh grease still no metal shavings etc I was about to put it back together but thought why not replace it

I believe I may have the bearing on the wrong way but seems to be fine will keep an eye on it for the next few months 

anyway the noise I had was very prominent at 45 to 55KM , it was not overly loud but sounded just like a diff howl changing directions etc didn't change it much which had me worried

I also thought it was the old hard 7 year old tyres on the rear but have swapped them to the front to chew them out quicker to get some new ones

I am just utterly confused at how a bearing that spun up pretty quiet and had a fair bit of resistance could have been the grease but had no visible signs of wear was the culprit

Edited by Boosting_G6E