Chinease turbos? Will I reget it

Falconhell13

• Member For: 4y 6m 3d

So got a few questions I washoping someone could clear up, as im contemplating buying a ebay turbo because I cant for the life of me find a gen 2nd in nz, and I cant justify spending 2600 on a car that cost me 2500

1- does this more exspensive turbo seem like a bad idea? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153156652916

I notice rare spares seem to sell these same ones with their price marked up so could it be all that bad if rare spares sells it?

2- are Garretts made in china or usa?

3- can a cheap turbo damage your engine? Whats the chances of it damaging engine parts if say the bearings go

4- has anyone ran an ebay turbo with good or bad results?

Any help greatly appreciated cheers!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 9m 25d

Let's be honest man. You've already decided on a sh*t Chinese turbo based on the flawed logic that most stuff is made in China so how bad can it be? Now you're just looking for moral support to justify your decision.

Seems to be some decent reports from the Aeroflow turbos which come in significantly cheaper than garrett. Other than that, I can't understand why anyone would consider cheap Chinese turbos that have invariably burnt anyone that has ever bought one, with the exception to the rule being a handful of reports from people that allegedly haven't had issues.

• Member For: 4y 6m 3d

The reason im considering it is because here in nz I cant a stock one second hand youd be lucky to find one here. Wasnt looking for moral support just had questions, clearly you read past them cause you failed to answer any of them. Thanks though will check out areoflow

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 9m 25d

I didn't mean to upset you man. Your questions were predicated around a decision already made. The reason you're not getting responses from anyone is that your questions are super common on all turbo performance forums, and they all end the same way. If you search through this site, the most recent documented thread I saw was a member trying a gtx3576 knock off, and it failed before he bought a genuine garrett. All the testing for these turbos go the same way. Member buys one, says quality is better than expected. Member fits and gets dynoed, says its great. Shortly thereafter, member either disappears and you never hear about it, or you get one that actually admits it broke in a week