Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 5m 27d

Car is running well, makes around 330awkw after a wind or two of the boost controller. Having a built trans in it transforms the car, it chirps second when you give it the beans. It's quite enjoyable at this power level, plenty fast for the street and fark knows what I was thinking building a car with double the power?!

Apart from that nothing new. I'm gonna take a break from posting for a while, I've got other things that are taking up a large portion of my time and I need to focus on those areas. I'll be back when I'm ready to resume posting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Other things are coming to a close and quite successfully, farken hooray.

Onto the cars, I have ordered and bought things for future shenanigans. 

I'm going to swap the engine and trans from my na territory into my genuine turbo territory. The engine has a host of upgrades and it's much more durable than a stock turbo engine, while the trans is the built turbo trans. This body swap will give me factory boost control, along with quite a few other benefits. Better brakes, better exterior and interior condition, thicker driveshafts and a full suite of PCMTec credits with antilag and flex fuel are just a few of these benefits.

The parts that are here, or in the post, are to facilitate a slight modification that I've always wanted to carry out. The current turbo is a genuine Garrett gen 2 GTX3582r supercore, it is housed in a factory T3 internal gate Ford turbine housing, with a flapper upgrade. It's making about 16psi on 98 right now, and probably makes about 330awkw through the stock TT exhaust system, albiet with a high flow cat and debung carried out.

I have a T4 split pulse 0.85 external gate turbine housing that fits the GT and GTX 35 frame series of turbos. This is to be combined with a split pulse T4 6boost manifold, that will have boost controlled by a 50mm Turbosmart external wastegate and a 4 port Mac valve. It should provide a nice wide boost range, perhaps 7psi up to 30psi.

I have a 3 to 4 inch adapter to connect my custom built 4 inch turbo back exhaust to the turbo, as it only has a 3 inch vband outlet. Another minor modification is a new fuel pot, it will house a single 525 fuel pump that has a dedicated power feed, with option to add another pump when required.

I think that is about the extent of this round of work, it'll still be on 98 but I will be able to make a bit more power with the upgraded hot side. I have a bit of an oil leak at the sump, so I have talked the missus into taking a couple of days off so I can smash this out. This is the primary motivator for all of this work, we all know how oil leaks are treated around here!!! I am particularly curious as to how the turbo will respond, I am hopeful it will spool quicker, yet have less back pressure to allow more timing, less heat and have more potential for higher octane options in the future.

That's all I got for now homies, here's a pic of the different housings side by side. The T4 is just slightly bigger, but being split pulse should spool like a mofo!

EOiQ6W0.jpg

0aoWrZm.jpg

• Like 4

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I'll take a picture later. Mine is divided in the collector. A single gate works fine for smaller turbos like this one and was ok for my 7675 I had on there a couple of years ago. The 77mm pulsar had a minimum boost of around 24psi and the 85mm had a minimum boost of around 30psi. I had thought about using a straight gate with a big turbo and night end up trying it one day.

I expect the setup had potential to make low to mid 400s on 98 and 600 on E85. We shall see when I've set my dyno up.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

The fun continues...

I resealed the sump no worries but the head gasket has been leaking, so I pulled the head off. I've ordered a set of Optitorque head studs as my old ARP ones have been used several times, an Atomic timing chain kit with a genuine tensioner and will pick up a genuine single layer head gasket from the parts store tomorrow.

I swapped the intercooler into the other car, got the battery charged, so got a couple of other things done. I've still gotta do some work to the fuel system and I suppose I can install the trans etc while I wait for the engine stuff.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Not an overly exciting day but I got some stuff done. Swapped the drivers seat into the other car, fitted the 2009 headlights and front end onto the 2006 TT, fitted the turbine housing onto the 6boost manifold, frigged around doing some turbo fixing then fitted that into the turbine housing. Ordered a headgasket, ordered a new oil fitting/restrictor, my other parts got posted today and I think that's about it. I reckon I'll swap the ICC over too cos the newer one is slightly better. That reminds me, the TT is set up for FG coils so I have to remember to put that rocker cover on when it goes back together...so I'd better paint it so it looks a bit less sh*t than primer :whistle:

Here's a pic of the hotside, the front end and the seat and console back together, cos we all like a pic or two :)

La7GreG.jpg

DqV3PcQ.jpg

JeclLlj.jpg

5Le0a1K.jpg

STbZnWP.jpg

• Like 4