2014 fg2 Xr6T idle knock/ticking

Mr Penguin

• Member For: 4y 10m 20d

hey guys, last few days my fg turbo developed this knock/tick on idle, iv searched multiple forums and threads and haven't come across something similar to this, its been to the mechanic twice and they cannot fault it and/or haven't heard the noise, it sounds like its coming from cylinder 1 or the timing cover, its got me stumped because its intermittent, doesn't increase with revs, just sounds like something is knocking around inside and I got no idea. if anyone had this before or has a rough idea of what it could be that would be awesome because its got me stuffed. for some reason I cant upload a video so here is a link to youtube videos, cheers.

Edited by k31th
fixed vid

• Member For: 5y 7m 19d

First thing I'd do is get a long screwdriver or other such device, touch the metal end to various points on the engine and hold the handle to your ear.

BE CAREFUL OF PULLEYS AND BELTS AND MOVING PARTS!!! NO LOOSE CLOTHING OR HAIR!!!

This should help you pin-point where exactly the noise is coming from.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

sounds like something is stuck in a pulley on the drive belt... but it's hard to tell from that video, and could realistically be something more sinister in the rockers by that sound.

• Member For: 4y 10m 20d

So done the screw driver trick, didn't help pinpoint, sound coming from top, front and exhaust side of the head, slightly louder in the front. Only does it when starting the car when it's hot, and only at idle. It's got my confused, changed all spark plugs and torqued them to spec, still there. Narrowing it down to either timing tensioner or lifter knock. Car only has 98ks so doubt timing related 

• 2 years later...
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 4d

Based on recent experience...

Pull the valve cover (easy) and have a look at the cams and rollers. Then look down the timing cover and see if a chunk of your timing chain guide on the exhaust side is missing. Check timing chain is tight. 

• Member For: 2y 5m

Thanks for the response mate 

will do tonight. I had it off the other day as I managed to get a set of cam gears thought it might be that but it wasn’t. I’ll pull back off. Had the mechanic do my timing chain maybe 6 or so months ago with an empire timing chain and the full kit 

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 11y 11d

I've just started having this issue, I'll call it a rattle. Worst when no pressure on accelerator and in drive with a/c on, maybe 650 rpm idle. As I put it in park (very slight increase in RPM)the noise decreases. decreases again when the a/c turned off. At any engine RPM above 750 rpm right up to 3000 it is normal.  I've done the long screwdriver to ear trick, but nothing stands out, In general it sounds louder on the Exhaust / turbo area. The head was off and completely reconditioned after an "ice plug" at the rear let go and spewed coolant out 6 months ago. most of the serpentine belt stuff, tensioner etc was examined and as needed replaced back then. Its 13 years old. 134,000km. And its had the Alternator replaced since the head repair But still on all the original exhaust (I'm suspicious of that). Weirdly, after I take a few things into the house, and come back, start it to move further into the garage - (2 minutes). Start, put in Drive, let it idle forward a meter, silent, no out of place sounds whatsoever. Apart from the above it is making good power, and the Turbo boost is onstream as needed or provoked. just the problem you don't want to demonstrate to a mechanic because sometimes its silent, sometimes not. https://photos.app.goo.gl/AAykKf8VDKQngnZcA

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

I'd go over the exhaust manifold fasteners and make sure they are torqued to spec. It's an easy check and you know the exhaust manifold has been off recently.

The rpm feedback you've given us makes me think your cam phasers are noisy. Chuck in half a litre of thicker oil and see if that shuts it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 11y 11d

Some progress on this ticking/ rattleing sound. my solution may be unique as I mentioed the head reconditioning which took place June 2021. 1500 km ago. I took it out this morning, and the rattle/ticking was there, just like an empty coke can in the drivers door drink holder .Once home & after a couple of hours cooling, a "much better hearing" son came around. he listened and identified almost immediately to the touch; the head / engine lifting metal oval hook on the back right side of the engine(from the drivers perspective) was tapping away, and could be silenced by pushing against it with a long screwdriver or bare hand. So Puffwagon, your suggestion on torqueing up the exhaust manifold fasteners was very close to the money. As for the hook that's rattleing, the bolts at each end are covered by turbo heat shield. its not possible to tell if one end is completely unfastened. At it's worst state it would be easy to push a credit card between the hook and engine. the car will be back at my mechanics early am Monday.Thanks for the advice.