Can’t identify noise

joffa1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 17d

You often can't see the cracks in a turbine housing from the mounted-in-the-car position. The only way to be sure of it is to take the turbo off completely and remove the turbine housing and inspect it under strong lighting conditions to spot the potential problem.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 4d

I thought the issue of the studs and nuts joining the exhaust manifold to the turbine housing working loose was common even from new? That is, can be a problem even without the housing being cracked?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m

Maybe OP can take an image of which bolts were loose or missing .  Because I think there maybe some confusion. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 17d
1 hour ago, El Andrew said:

studs and nuts joining the exhaust manifold to the turbine housing working loose was common even from new?

Yep. That is common enough that it needs to be maintained at service intervals. If yours stays without aftermarket assistance, you'll be one of the rare ones and you can think yourself lucky.

• Member For: 6y 9m 14d

I’m actually not sure which two bolts they replaced in the end... might have a poke around on the weekend as I imagine they would look newer than all existing bolts. 

Im keen to know precisely too so I can keep an eye on them and tighten every oil change or so. 

All I know is that they were apparently “turbo housing bolts” and that the turbo oil and water lines were removed to get access to them.