Snails_pace New Member 22 Member For: 9y 7m 12d Posted 26/04/17 02:54 AM Posted 26/04/17 02:54 AM I recently bought a mk11 Bf Turbo with a ZF. I've been driving it daily for a couple of weeks now so am just getting familiar with it. I gave it a stab the other day as I joined traffic on the highway, I was in D and when it kicked back to accelerate I got a nasty clunk from the ass end. Felt like diff slap. Its only happened once so that's about as well as I can describe it. car has just clicked 90,000km and other than weak as piss brakes feels tight everywhere else. Surely this isn't normal when hitting it in D? First auto car I've ever owned
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,119 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 26/04/17 02:57 AM Posted 26/04/17 02:57 AM 100% normal for a ZF to do that. It can be tuned out with a ZF tune.
Snails_pace New Member 22 Member For: 9y 7m 12d Posted 26/04/17 03:03 AM Author Posted 26/04/17 03:03 AM Thanks mate. Shame they let that feature through programming, but good to know it's not something I need to address mechanically. If it wasn't for the fuel economy in D, I would just leave it in Perf' mode all the time. Feels so much perkier.
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 26/04/17 03:09 AM Posted 26/04/17 03:09 AM Since when is a clunk normal? I'd be checking my diff bushes.
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,119 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 26/04/17 03:13 AM Posted 26/04/17 03:13 AM haha ZF clunks when dropping back to first even with new diff bushes. Stuffed diff bush(es) would make the issue far more present in both that situation and others.
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 26/04/17 03:24 AM Posted 26/04/17 03:24 AM None of that is true in my experience. It changes into first with a jolt when travelling slowly in second but there is no clunking coming from the gearbox or anywhere else in that specific scenario. Before I replaced my diff bushes the car would only clunk when getting right the fark up it. It was fairly normal in everyday driving apart from a bit of swaying in the rear end. The bushes were cactus when I pulled them out. 1
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,119 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 26/04/17 03:25 AM Posted 26/04/17 03:25 AM Well, it's easy to check on the bushes, I guess 1
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 26/04/17 03:33 AM Posted 26/04/17 03:33 AM Yep it's easy enough. Op could just try a few kickdowns to see if he can repeat the noise and narrow it down. It's pretty easy to tell a harsh shift into first from a huge bang coming from the bushes. Depending on his power level and diff bush farkedness (assuming it is a diff bush issue) it might do it from 3rd to 2nd as well.
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 26/04/17 03:38 AM Posted 26/04/17 03:38 AM Sounds like George Bush......
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,119 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 26/04/17 03:43 AM Posted 26/04/17 03:43 AM he is a bit clunky
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now