Mexican Invasion '17. Vic/SA cruise 24-27 March 2017 **UPDATED**

Rab

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d

Been playing around the with Hero5 Black - got a surprise when I got the "Error SD" message after 17 mins recording and thought farrk not again (had a similar issue with my Hero4 Silver) when used in the protective housing (bought separately).  Then jumped on the Interwebs and found it was a common issue with Hero5 Black :facepalm:

Anyways - tried a different microSD card SanDisk Ultra U1 and seems to be okay so far - recorded 1 hr 26 min so far and going okay.  Problematic one was the Samsung Pro (so I'm slowly manually reformatting that from scratch).   I'll try it with the SanDisk Ultra on the push bike to see how it goes.  I have this sneaking suspicion now that Hero's are prone to over-heating when in the plastic housing and have a safety shut-down mechanism (or maybe they just lose it and corrrupt the microSD when over-heated).  When I got the Error SD - the device was in its housing inside the car on the dashboard - so would have been pretty hot inside the car today.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 2m 1d

Did you get to test the GoPro?

Will get mine setup and ready this week for hooking up and running with.

New rubber and alignment on the car this arvo (went with Pilot Super Sports this time - grip should be there compared to the others, but hoping they last a bit longer before they "go off")

Wash and detail the beast tomorrow.

Food and provisions wednesday then pack the car thursday and an early night.

@k31th - with it being just the 2 of us heading over Friday morning are you able to pick a "meetup" servo and time that's good for you on our way out of civilisation and I'll join up with you there? 1st servo after the Westgate or Derrimut would be my choice (but not sure which way you'll be heading)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 17d

no idea on time... I'm easy-going on that front... I'd have to work out what's a suitable time based on how long it's going to take to get to the meet point in Adelaide...

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

I'll probably aim for 10:30ish from Ballarat - should get us to the cabins around 5:00, 5:30ish in 1997 (SA time).

Should give us time to unpack, setup camp, top up fuel, check tyres, pop bonnets and unwind before dinner etc.

No Gary with us on the way over so photo stops will be reduced :P

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 17d

Sounds good to me. Hit up any fuel station you like within Ballarat :spoton: The station on the freeway isn't cheap, but the station's within Ballarat are.

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Will give you a buzz when I'm near (and vice versa).

No huge issue if we're out of synch and catchup at the camp or mid route. The Fridays pretty much travelling rather than fun.

• Like 1

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d

GoPro Hero5 Black works well with a different microSD card Sandisk Ultra U1 (did a bike ride with it that went for 45 mins and prior to that did a stationary vid shoot that lasted 1 1/2 hrs).  Just goes to show how fiddly these things are!  I've also got a Sony ActionCam and its no where as sensitive to type of microSD card used (or maybe I've just been lucky).

The Samsung Pro microSD I tried to use definitely seems to have issues with the Hero5 Black though.  Even after formatting it was still stopping recording - this time after 30 mins.

Hey Rab - do I need to bring anything in particular?

Weather Sat and Sun around Adelaide look good.

Adelaide Weather.PNG 

Hopefully stay mostly dry Great Ocean Road on Monday!

Torquay Weather.PNG

Hey not to late for any of the locals to join us on the Sat and partake in Oktober fest in March Sat night ...

• Like 1