OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

BABSAROMEO

• Member For: 7y 4m 24d

Hi fellow members, if someone could kindly shed some advice regarding my FG XR6 TURBO 6SPD AUTO.

As of yesterday the oil pressure light has come on my dash (orange light).

I referred to the owners manual & it has indicated oil pressure light.

I am concerned and worried as I get my car serviced & in fact recently 6 weeks ago was services with new oil, ryco filter, ryco fuel filter, ryco spark plugs..

As soon as I parked my beloved car home I checked the oil. It was fine. Normal.

After 4-5 hrs I didn't start the car, let it rest and then went to try again and light was still showing on dash.

Help?

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

This

the screen is probably blocked. Don't drive it or start it. Check that and remove the screen. Then see what happens. 

To All, thank you and appreciate the feedback.

I got it all wrong.... I checked again this morning just to make sure if it definitely was the oil pressure light............AND BANG.....................

I was tripping... it the bloody Malfunction indicator lamp light.. (MIL) THANK YOU LORD!

What cause's this light to come one?

Will it go off?

It's still on now?

Thought's please anyone?

Cheers.

You need a scan tool. 

But you could try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. That may clear the light. 

But scan tool wins. 

Where are you? There may be a member near by that can scan it and tell you what it is. 

Did they clean the throttle body when it was serviced? Or have you? 

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

if you can't find someone with a scantool as suggested above, go to repco/autobarn/etc and most of them have a scantool they'll bring out to your car and plug in to see the code.

Thanks Rob.

I'm in Melbourne, Tullamarine 3043. ?

No, throddle body was not cleaned when serviced. All that was done was new oil, new ryco filter, new ryco fuel filter, new ryco air filter, new ryco spark splugs.

I mean throttle body

Heaps of members around Victoria. 

You could try what Jonno suggested and hit up repco. They're scan tools are about $100 or so. 

I use torque pro and forscan on my tablet with a Bluetooth obd dongle. If you already have an android phone you'll get away with it for about $30. 

• 4 years later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 6d

Had the big arse oil can symbol flash up on the multifunction display for just a moment after I had just slammed the brakes from about 80kph to dead stop. Was at a Khanacross event where a lap takes about 1min 20 dodging witches hats at moderate speed. Found out it's hard to stop 2 tons quickly and understeer makes tight cornering difficult for a novice, even with aftermarket brakes and stickies. So that was the end of racing for me and after another few hours of thinking about what was going on and checking oil levels and finding no noises louder than injectors from engine bay, made the decision to drive 1hr+ home, which was sedate and fortunately uneventful with no further warnings. 

So will be buying a supercrap oil pressure gauge tomorrow to see what the actual readings are and if there is a major problem looming. I did start it today and stuck a lug hole on the sump and rocker cover while dead cold and found no offensive noises present, just whirring noises like you would expect. Luckily old ZF heat exchanger has been removed so access to said sensor is good. Car has aftermarket turbo oil feed line with inline 44 micron turbosmart filter, I assume original filter was removed. I guess I might be able to fish around in there between the end of the assembly and block with a pick to confirm this?

Car is FG xr6t auto ute, 90K klms, 375kw, oil is HPR5. Oil pump is full Atomic jobby which was installed 4k klms ago, so pickup should be free of sh*t and last oil change 1k klms ago, the oil filter was dissected with no foreign bodies present. The day was starting to get hot (tropics), according to torque app engine coolant temp after each run was up around 98C, just under halfway on temp gauge and normal for this car when it's in traffic or driven hard. Runs were about 30-40 minutes apart with bonnet up between runs and according to dash gauge, coolant temps dropped a bit between runs.

Hopefully the low oil pressure event was from oil rushing to front of sump and momentarily sucked some air while at low rpm and not something more sinister. Fg oil pickups must be at back of block as that is the deep end. Is this wishful thinking?

I note the OP also had an FG but dash light was an orange light and more persistent. (different in this case?)

So I ask the more learned of this community for your opinions on this disturbance. Your time and experience is much appreciated.