My Phantom BA XR6 Turbo Build

tazzanz

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 8d

I rate them highly.

Nice smooth idle with a bit of lump, my car drives just as smooth as before unless im sitting under 1700rpm then it feels a bit rough.

Mid and top end pull is awesome.

Are you fitting crow springs as well?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 8m 26d

Yea running crow springs & retainers (Can see them in pic) My engine builder Wants to port my head as well not 100% if it would be worth it.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 28d
1 minute ago, tazzanz said:

not 100% if it would be worth it.

I reckon it's be worth a clean up at the very least. Have you seen how sh*tty some of the ports look? I'll swing some pics up after if you want.

• Gold Donating Members
10 minutes ago, tazzanz said:

Yea running crow springs & retainers (Can see them in pic) My engine builder Wants to port my head as well not 100% if it would be worth it.

I havent ported mine.

If u do get it ported? Id suggest CNC, hard to beat the level of tech they have for porting.

If your gonna do it, do it right!!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 8m 26d
1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

I reckon it's be worth a clean up at the very least. Have you seen how sh*tty some of the ports look? I'll swing some pics up after if you want.

Yea mate upload some pics on here, Regarding CNC I don't think they have those facilities available but im sure it could be arranged if I wanted to go down that route. I know he has had very good results with 2JZ and RB heads hence why he was wanting to do mine.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

The clean looking port is the same intake port and you can see a good long lump there that is about 0.5mm or so high on the left side and also a round bump near the manifold surface. Being an efi car the ports can be a lot soother in general on the intake side than they currently are.

On the 2 exhaust sides shown you can see that there is a decent amount of stuff to be smoothed out.

You could smooth it out and possible shape it slightly better/sharpen the squish pads or whatever in a day but obviously hand porting is another kettle of fish and takes closer to a week.

Nothing wrong with hand porting though, it's just tedious af. Check out Lewis Engines if you haven't already.

ArV99LE.jpg

agKOFkx.jpg

35Rw80H.jpg

jZbUtoW.jpg

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m
2 hours ago, tazzanz said:

It wont be if they dont know what they are doing. Its highly critical where material is removed.

If you want it done properly send it to Nizpro. They have been R + D  these heads since 2002.

that's why our Nizpro F6 pulls such big numbers on low boost. Its all the little mods that add up to extra KW.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
8 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

The clean looking port is the same intake port and you can see a good long lump there that is about 0.5mm or so high on the left side and also a round bump near the manifold surface. Being an efi car the ports can be a lot soother in general on the intake side than they currently are.

On the 2 exhaust sides shown you can see that there is a decent amount of stuff to be smoothed out.

You could smooth it out and possible shape it slightly better/sharpen the squish pads or whatever in a day but obviously hand porting is another kettle of fish and takes closer to a week.

Nothing wrong with hand porting though, it's just tedious af. Check out Lewis Engines if you haven't already.

ArV99LE.jpg

agKOFkx.jpg

35Rw80H.jpg

jZbUtoW.jpg

I looked at Lewis $1600 for stage 1 heads upto 5k for fark yeah heads.

Not worth it imo.

The barra heads  have mega good flow standard.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m

Of course it flows OK, the air is being  forced in, BUT get it flowing well on an N/A motor and then stick that head on a turbo motor and watch the gains.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It's the time you pay for guys and that rarely seems worth it when chasing the last little bits.

Imo nothing wrong with a clean up to remove the stuff I showed and make them nice.

Then again there is bulk power from a stock casting so I'd never pay for it myself and based on how long it took to do my rb head I don't think I could be stuffed doing it again....maybe who knows :)

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1