molch

G6E Turbo replacement????

Hey Guys,

So this weekend my turbo has completely shat itself. Started making all sort of howling, and whistling noise and it just rattling badly.. I think I have been pretty unlucky with this one as its only done 69k kms but is run at 18psi daily and had decent power.

Anyway onto the replacement, Ive been researching and have come up with the GTX3584R by MAMBA as a good replacement as it passes the price tickbox. I want to go bigger power and want something around low to mid 400's on pump 98. I also don't want to loose too much down low so I am hoping the spool is not too much worse then the standard GT 3576.

Any advice guys? Really want to try and keep this replacement + tune under 2k if I can.

Aren't they rated to 650hp? Cant see that rating being on 98.

GTX3582, PT6235 would do it. Would be more like $2500 though.

Yeah I've used mambas gear alot and I rate it highly, that's a t04z coldside so you will loose some spool but is a 500kw e85 turbo.

Have you replaced the factory oil line?

37 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Have you replaced the factory oil line?

Yeah the factory oil line was replaced when it went in for all the work 20k. 

what would spool up quicker: The mamba gtx 3584 or gtx3582r?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAMBA-Ball-Bearing-Billet-Turbo4-GTX3582R-GT3582R-w-A-R-82-T3-V-Band-/282059838589?hash=item41ac13947d:g:gt8AAOSwuhhXVTcx

Theoretically the 82mm wheel should spool quicker than the 84mm wheel but the 84mm could flow more and price point not much comes close.  

What dan said

That turbo is what most call a stage 3 high flow and still bolts on, however I believe you can PM him and they will do it in a .7 cover with a 4 inch inlet for all the horny turbo spool goodness

stage 33 66mm wheel can go in a modded 3" housing or go for a .7 4" 66mm is 5mm oversize and is good for 500wkw if you want to rebuilt a standard turbo otherwise kinugawa/mamba are great value for money but might cost a little more in the end with mods to exhaust etc if you go a full turbo..

both good options

the one in the link above is only slightly bigger @ 62.5mm so id say stage 2. A 66mm would be on par with a T04Z in the factory location though

Edit:- confirmed T04Z is .5mm bigger below than a stage 3 66mm rebuild

Compressor wheel: 66.5/84 mm

Edited by mightbuyaford

44 minutes ago, mightbuyaford said:

stage 33 66mm wheel can go in a modded 3" housing or go for a .7 4" 66mm is 5mm oversize and is good for 500wkw if you want to rebuilt a standard turbo otherwise kinugawa/mamba are great value for money but might cost a little more in the end with mods to exhaust etc if you go a full turbo..

both good options

Thanks for all the responses guys.. So many options that's it's hard to make a final decision.

What mods to the exhaust are required for the Mamba bolt on turbo? 

Also so who do you guys recommend for a rebuild if I go down that path? 

also I am 99% sure I'm going to get CMS to do the tune.

whats the end game of the car? power figure?

the mamba linked above has a V band rear housing so you would either need to change the housing or get a new dump pipe fabbed.

nick from RE in melbourne would be good. He does rebuilds for about $950 - $1500 and will ship it back to you with new studs and ceramic coating free of charge

Ok gotcha. So the the gtx 3584r from mamba had the standard bolt rear housing so that's the winner. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181896660191

I think I'm leaning this way, now just need to decide if I go the bigger housing. Will pm him and see if it changes the pricing much. Then I just need to worry about a single silicon intake pipe from the relocated intake... 

The turbo spool up was already pretty noisy, can't imagine it louder with a 4" intake.

Edited by molch

that's a direct bolt on. No need to change it unless you really want a 4" inlet but already has an A/R7 housing just with the 3" inlet

Compressor Housing Inlet OD: 3” / 76.2mm

Compressor Housing Outlet OD: 2” / 51 mm

Compressor Housing A/R: .70

Turbine Housing A/R : 1.05

Dodgy advert! Anyway I messaged him last night asking if he will mate it to a 4" inlet with 0.7 a/r. Waiting response. 

I think today ill book in CMS and a day off work for the trip down in a couple of weeks. 

If your going to cms, chat to them before buying anything. They will give you lots of good options that they can make work.

Chatted to Jason at CMS and they sound like top blokes to work with.  Didn;t know too much about Mamba on Kinagawa turbo's but I don't expect too many people would.

Suggested I should go whichever way I feel comfortable with and if I can save a dollar then great.

Also I heard back from the Mamba guy and he isnt sure if the turbo will fit with the 4" 0.7a/r inlet. His had some mixed reports from customers.

I see this post and it has me a little worried: 

Decisions Decisions while meanwhile my car is off the road. I hate forced decisions. Ha what a pun!

2 minutes ago, molch said:

Decisions Decisions while meanwhile my car is off the road. I hate forced decisions. Ha what a pun!

That makes sense because you are going a T04Z in a low mount position so the wheel is alot bigger that a GTX82R. Overall the 4" inst the be all end all in this situation but that's upto you

Hey guys, So I made a decision and laid down the credit card for this Mamba turbo: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181896660191

Can;t wait for it to arrive and be installed before I book it into CMS. Don't know wha to expect from this turbo but I'm hoping for around 400 kw on 98 as a minimum. Not sure the ZF will stand up to too much more.