molch

G6E Turbo replacement????

Haha have a look at their eBay page, the complete turbo with rear housing and actuator is cheaper than the GTX3584 without a rear housing.

21 hours ago, MattyP said:

Nice man 

I'd send that mamba ex housing back for sure and be asking for some sort of refund 

Hey, he should be hitting you up for the refund. You gave the bad advice talking up this unproven turbo combo for the barra....

I said my experience was good. And I stand by that 100% 

its a shame that it didn't work out for him and should be going for reimbursement for sure 

My post is badly worded. No doubt you had good intentions.

But Jeez, over the past 10 years you just keep seeing people trying to take the cheap option and end up paying more. There are so many off the shelf proven turbo combos these days.

If you want cheap, consider brexit. The pound has devalued so much I have been getting cheap stuff sent over by friends in the uk. 

All is good. I went in knowing it was a bit of a gamble for me and also feel the mamba compressor housing and chra are good, solid units. 

I am still pretty pumped about how it's all coming together. I'm still expecting atleast 400 rwkw on 98 and the turbo comes

on boost really hard, it's just every decision now is harder and slower due to wasted cash. 

I'm just documenting everything so the next person can atleast have some more information and opinions if they decide to go down a similar path, after all that's what these forums are about.

That's a great attitude mate.

did you end up hearing back from them in regards to a partial refund of some sorts?

yeah Mamba actually emailed me tonight offering a partial refund for the exhaust housing. I was surprised but told him that would be awesome and I really appreciate it. This gives them a 1 up for customer service in my book. 

They didn't  know why but it's obvious to me now. Turbo is too big for the wastegate flow and hole. 

Reason it's worked for others is asmaller exhaust/dump/cat creates back pressure on the turbo wheel and this builds pressure in the entire system. This back pressure from the exhaust helps the wastegate open and gas takes the path of least resistance out he wastegate hole.

My exhaust system doesn't have this same back pressure and due to poor wastegate port design the path of least resistance is out of the turbine. 

There is is some examples of guys with boost creep on this forum and it generally comes down to high flowing exhaust and crap internal gates. I found heaps of examples of Honda guys in the states having similar issues with Chinese turbos (poor flow and port designs) which is why there are so many tutorials of people porting out smaller turbos. This problem usually starts for them when getting a big dump and high flow cat! 

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Hope it's all working now for you mate!

Got through most of it. Finished the valve springs and ported the mamba turbo housing some more. Still gotta get the rocker cover and turbo back on. Can't do any more work on it until Monday so early next week I am hoping to be starting it up and seeing how its going. 

Touch up tune maybe around mid week maybe pending tuner availability. 

I just ordered a GtX 3582 (62mm wheel) from Mamba so I am hoping with the smaller wheel than the 84 I wont have the same issues controlling boost.  @ $1089 delivered to my door its hard to resist.

Holy links batman!!!

I used this calculator a while back when I was deciding what compressor wheel I should use.

It takes a bit of time to set it up so it's accurate but I set it up roughly to give people an idea of what it does.

Obviously compressor maps will need to be obtained from other sources to give clearer results as these are all bw maps.

The results I got from this calculator are what helped me decide to use a genuine gtx35r compressor wheel rather than the t04z wheel, which I thought may be very close to being uncontrollable in the ford turbine housing.

Tl;dr It's a turbo majigy calculator

Oops I meant with the ford turbine housing, not in. Hur dur :wtcslap: 

Also thanks to the mods who cleaned it up. I forgot about that thingy :whistle: 

Yeah I figured I'd set the page up with the parameters in, as it is a pita to work out how to setup without being familiar with some of the variables and wheel sizes etc.

On 09/01/2014 at 1:33 AM, turbotrana said:

The precisions compressor map will be more horny, GTX less horny

That's what I would have said. It will have a giant horn on top and stretch out to the 95lb mark or so. I think...

Edited by Puffwagon
Working out how to post...

Hmm interesting 

I think it's still the pick (6235) if budget isn't an issue, especially after seeking Luke's car. 

Still pretty cheap bolt on power. 

Fuel, zorst, cooler, intake, turbo, tune, bam 600 rwhp.

Replace other bits as they break :bomb:

Ok so car is back on the road. Mamba exhaust housing had a bit more porting and now it's not boosting over 18psi at 6500rpm :bliss:.... And much lower boost thoughout the whole rev range. 

I ended up buying a carbide grinding piece and doing it myself. I created a channel internally so the air was directed at the wastegate flappy instead of having to turn a corner .Picture to follow shortly but I got the inspiration from here http://www.bellengineering.net/article_info.php?articles_id=273