Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 6m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Baldivis, Wait Ages.
Posted (edited)

Gday guys. Its been a while. 

 

So I need to do my valve springs. I have the atomic tool and I managed to pick up a engine off a mate who is a mechanic. Head gasket on it went so I took it as a learning engine. Pulling it apart and playing around. Been interesting and fun. 

 

I am practising doing the valve springs on this before I even think of doing it on my car. Getting the springs out is no worries... Its the frigen collets. Is there some sort of tool I need to get these to sit back in or some trade secretes?

F0E66CEA-8D85-4CD3-89A1-000BF77542CB_zps

25AD9140-78B1-4EA3-A654-889E1DC2D529_zps

 

 

Only other thing that left me wondering if I was doing it right was the timing chain. Releasing the pressure on the tentioner wasn't enough to get the chain off. I had to take the tentioner off to be able to get the chain off. Is this normal? 

 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated guys :) 

Edited by LazyBrennan
  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Don't wind the tool down so far, you should have a small mag pick up tool,use that and a seal pick or thin screwdrivers to load the collect into the retainer and then hold the retainer with the screw driver and remove the magnet.

 

The trick is to get the retainer height just right so it helps grab the collet.

  • Like 2
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 6m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Baldivis, Wait Ages.
Posted

Thanks heaps for that guys. Massive help. 

The only part I don't quiet get from Jet's post is the timing chain. How do you loosen the chain tension with out taking the timing cover off? I was planing to take the timing cover off to replace the seal, I do have a bit of a leak going on down there... 

  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 10m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure
Posted

Isn't the timing cover and sump all one gasket?  Or have I got that wrong?

  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Depends some are all goo some have rubber u seals at each end and goo in the middle

  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 10m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure
Posted

Why have two types of sealing material?  What's the advantage?  Why not all goo?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 6m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Baldivis, Wait Ages.
Posted

So I ended up being able to get them today. Used some long nose pliers and a seal pick to hold it in place. Im going to order a smaller magnet and try that too. The job its self is pretty straight forward. Its all the work surround the springs. Timing chain ect. 

 

Would you recommend all goo or go with the rubber seal? 

  • Like 1
  • Get It To Wheelspin Uncontrolably Then Give It Another 5 Pounds
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 11m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Work
Posted

maxresdefault.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 10m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Brennan when the timing cover is off, feel free to upgrade to a chrome ceramic coated one for cheap cheap for you ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...