Walbro 400lph intake pump

• Member For: 9y 9m 22d

Hi all. I recently installed a walbro intake pump 400lph and new plastic fuel hoses. Also hi flowed the turbo. Do I have to replace the fuel pressure regulator as it's been tuned thou im having issues with the idle and stalling issues. Its very intermittent and revs drop under 500 if I come to a quick stop at the lights. I'm going back to look at the tune again never done this when it was at 300rwkw with stock fuel pump.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

Nope. Stock reg would be fine. Looking at the tune sounds like your best bet. Good luck in getting it sorted at the tuner. :buttrock:

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 4m 20d

You can have problems with high fuel pressure at idle with a walbro that large. As the reg physicaly can't return the fuel quick enough to maintain the 4bar base pressure and it will start to creep up and run rich. I had high fuel pressure issues in my Ute with that same pump and drilled out the standard reg. You can also buy a Bosch high flow unit fairly cheap.

The stock return hole is quite small. stock vs Bosch high flow

d9c7534555731a6e380dc7a5c50ae88b.jpg

This is mine after I drilled it out. I didn't measure the drop in pressure but I noticed an immediate improvement in idle and so longer smelt rich. 421a65243eefcdb3635be4ef60d65c83.jpg25e52a61a96877b6179ccf3cab1e4bfc.jpg

Thanks for that info Bamk2f6tornado. I really think this fuel regulator is playing havoc as my tuner hasn't seen this issue before. I'll hunt around for a high pressure fuel reg Bosch type. I think only KPM sell them.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I purchased a high flow fuel regulator from Herrod today. Fitted it up still has fueling issues but yet to recheck the tune. This will happen this week. 

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 9y 1m 8d
On 5/1/2016 at 8:10 PM, bamk2f6tornado said:

You can have problems with high fuel pressure at idle with a walbro that large. As the reg physicaly can't return the fuel quick enough to maintain the 4bar base pressure and it will start to creep up and run rich. I had high fuel pressure issues in my Ute with that same pump and drilled out the standard reg. You can also buy a Bosch high flow unit fairly cheap.

The stock return hole is quite small. stock vs Bosch high flow

d9c7534555731a6e380dc7a5c50ae88b.jpg

This is mine after I drilled it out. I didn't measure the drop in pressure but I noticed an immediate improvement in idle and so longer smelt rich. 421a65243eefcdb3635be4ef60d65c83.jpg25e52a61a96877b6179ccf3cab1e4bfc.jpg

do you happen to know the part number for the bosch high flow unit mate ?