Desperately Need Help - New Built Engine With Strange Sound.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First point of call for me are earphone thingamajig with the metal prong which will get you closer to where. Some good listening devices out there where you can position different place and switch bet

I tried to get a hold of Daryn a few times during the week and received a call from him tonight. The engine has been pulled and stripped down. They found the upper thrust bearing was blue, so the caus

Check for hoses from the oil pump touching something else. The videos sound's not the best but it sounds like a hydraulic (ie oil pump) buzz to me.

All aftermarket components have previously been refitted in an attempt to identify the issue. Unfortunately, all to no avail. I'm currently over in W.A and as a result, I haven't spoken to Darren since my last post here. I will try to call him tomorrow , to see if he has made any progress.

Cheers

Brad

Loosening chain tension and lowering the RPM when the noise starts (as described earlier):

This reminds me of tuning a guitar string (change the tension and the vibration changes) - again pointing to resonance in the chain.

The questions I would be trying to work out.

Is it possible that there is resonance in the chain?

Why would it be happening in this motor?

How can you confirm or rule it out?

What can be done to change/fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

Daryn is extremely disenchanted with the ordeal. He's owned the car for two years and only managed around 70km. For this reason he has put it on the back burner. I believe that the motor will be pulled and stripped down. When th8s will occur, is anyone's guess.

• 1 month later...

I have a pretty much factory motor and I get the same things but mine is around 2000rpm, I took the pump out as I thought there was an issue. there was a fraction of sideways movement in the pump gears, I wonder if that's enough movement to get a vibration sound.

Darryn just called me before and he's still devastated about the whole ordeal. So much so, that he was just going to put the engine under a bench and forget about it. After chatting for a while, he said that he will pull the engine down after Christmas and recheck everything. During the call he informed me that he is investigating some radical changes to the platform. As you can well understand, he wants to keep it low key for the time being. But, if it proves to be viable, it will be a game changer......

Yeah it is a sad tale and I really feel for him. He's a really likeable, genuine guy and he has helped me out immensely. He said, that If he can find the problem, he will use the engine for the interim. Io tld him that I'll drive down for a visit, when I get my car going and let him have a drive. :D

The oil pump housing is still bolted on but no gears right? There is very little clearance between the crank and the pump housing. Depending on how big his clearances are on his mains it could be just the oil pump housing scrapping the crank. I doubt itll do any damage but cranks especially when 2 foot long bow at certain rpms.Taking tension off your chain will increase/decrease noise which is whats happening. If his running between .004" to .006" main clearnce that's where ill be putting my money on.

• 2 months later...

I haven't talked to Darryn in a while. He said that the engine was going to be "put under  bench". I believe that he is building a "new" engine.  Apparently it will  be revolutionary to the Barra world.

• Like 1

Someone needs to go all out on one of these engines. Iv heard of a few in the making but all seem to be benched. sh*tty little 2L WRXs are making the 200mph club these days... :/

Ummm spiro made 1600+hp on E90 years ago on a destroked 4.0 barra 

not really just pissing about 

Edited by JETURBO
  • Like 1

This guy knows ^^

Unfortunately he passed away, but he had many projects on the go with regard to the development of this wonderful engine :) Hopefully even a small percentage of his enterprises has been continued on.

• 1 month later...