True Trac Or Kaaz Diff ?

Silverfox666

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 14d

I'm possibly shopping for a new diff as mine is finally getting pretty noisy (no stereo in the car right now...lazy). Wondering about aftermarket vs stock. Have been advised by Ralph to just go stock due to the high number of kms I do but I'm still interested to see price differences.

Wavetrac has lifetime warranty, even with motorsport use...surely that'd handle the few kms you through at it? What was Ralph's reasoning behind going stock due to the higher kms? Given how much crap the stock diff centres spew out, wouldn't having a cleaner diff be better suited?

• Member For: 14y 6m 12d

So this is basically what I would be looking for, correct? https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/automotive-performance/performance-driveline/automotive-differential/truetrac-differential-m86-30-spline-eaton

I would be looking at going the LSD with an upgraded tailshaft, the idea being to bullet proof the car as much as possible. ZF work will come later, one thing I would like to put in is something like the Circle D stall converter, which seems to get rave reviews for the difference it makes.

I've been following BenDoCo's build for ideas mainly, as it's also a G6ET.

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 20d

I'm famous...............woohoooo :)

As you would know then, I spat out a CV on a half shaft with 400kw (it was actually 419kw when it let go) but I know of cars in SA with 500 + (or close to) that haven't had a prob with half shafts but keep an eye on them 'just in case'

If one does let go, just look at the Repco replacement. NSA 1038 is left and NSA 1039 is right iirc. Bigger CV's than the Ford items. 28 spline Hub and 30 spline Diff end

I just went through all of my notes about my car on the computer and it was Harrop that I rang to check on the diffs max power and the one you link above is (as far as I'm aware) the one fitted to my car.

A good idea to do the bearings and replace all diff bushes while the cradle is out.

• Member For: 21y 28d

With normal evey day driving, you won't see or feel any difference at all. The truetrac just does what it has to do..

Under extreme conditions (shall we say), I get caught out a bit as it directs the tourqe so quickly - and coz I'm old and the reflexes aren't as quick as they used to be - the car flicks me in the wrong direction every now and then but as I said, only coz I'm too slow to catch it

Can you explain this a bit more.

The reason I ask is I have watched a few videos on youtube where guys have lost control in a relatively straight line where I would have thought there should be no problem. With a proper lock up diff I reckon they would have held onto it.

But with these new style diffs I am wondering if this "flicking" as you said is unique to these diffs.

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 20d

^^

If I'm in 2nd gear and flick TC off (don't really need to do this anymore coz most of the time, TC doesn't function), my car will flick 'immediately' it looses traction to the left so I give it a bit of left hand down on the wheel to keep front wheels straight and everythings sweet - lookatmelookatme - but all of a sudden and without warning, it will flick over to the right. Usually I can keep going by right hand down on the wheel but unfortunately it's anyones guess what will happen next. It could flick either way or pull straight.

Once I had it close to 90 degrees (facing the kerb) and coz I'm a scared little girl, I got off the pedal straight away and another time it flicked me past 90 degree to the right ------------ and there was a friggen semi coming the other way.

I don't even try doing anything like that in 3rd gear with the bigger turbo on coz not knowing what the back will do would be the difference between me driving it home and posting a pic on instagram with the caption "well, that happened" with the mangled mess on a tow truck.

IMHO, the TrueTrac is a bit 'harsh' when it sends whatever percentage of torque to each wheel that it decides is needed.......needs to be softened a bit I reckon

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 8m 22d

Standard diff is the best. Plant it and spin into third in a straight line driving with your knees. Easy as. Haven't had a go in dons car yet with a true trac but if I did I would probably be drift king by the end off the night. :P

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 5d

No diff choice will defy the laws of physics.

Common sense and good tyres on the street guys.

Our cars are too powerful these days to keep straight.

• Like 2