Going To The Drags With New Mods,98 Tune Or E85,std Zf On Radials

al10s

• Member For: 11y 6d

Hi guys,just wanted some opinions. Im going to take my fg sedan to wsid next Wed hopefully.The car has a 98 tune which makes 385rwkws on 18psi and has an e85 tune making 441rwkws on 18psi.My car has a standard zf 6sp auto with the pwr heat exchanger thingy which replace the std ford item and also been flushed and serviced,with 48,000kms on it.Im going on 275 40 17 et radials,will the box cope with the 441rwkws or am I safer on the 385rwkw tune?I know it will require a build at some stage but id like to get a few more months out of it.Before a build,Joe at CMS seems to think it will cope for a few runs on the e85 tune,and I have just had a new Gibson tailshaft fitted by the CMS team,thanks guys

Edited by al10s

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 4d

Smash the E85 tune in and haul ass!

Just try walking it off the line a bit at first and watch out for axle tramp maybe.

Has the flex plate been modded?

Edited by -Stever-

• Member For: 10y 5m 9d

Sub 350rwkw seems to be the safe zone for stock zf but some hang in with more. Given that id say smash the e85 tune and run the best time u can before it lets go...

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 22d

It's a bit of guess work to know what's going on inside your trans at any given time whether you're cruising, driving in a 'spirited' manner or going down the quarter mile and even with the 98 tune, there is a chance of something going wrong.

A couple of normal things are.......

Input shaft breaking - usually on the 2nd to 3rd upchange (iirc)

Clutches not wanting to behave. This happened to an SA member on the weekend and the car couldn't - wouldn't go into 4th.

At said above, watch for axel tramp off the line. If you feel the back starting to bounce, abort the run......once you have everything under control, use the rest of the track to practice your gear changes.

Oh and BTW

E85 all the way. Get the best time you can and if you enjoy going down the drag strip in your car, start saving to get the trans rebuilt.

• Member For: 14y 10m 14d

theres no real guarantee on how long a stock box will last this is all up to how much torque its making & how hard your driving it (including burnouts) & km's aswell, most customers that run midd 400 rwkw will get on an average 6+ months of spirited driving & the odd track day some have seen over 12 months all up to what you do with the car

A good example Frank with FG ute made 460rwkw had 7-8 months with the STD box which included some track days & hard street driving then the box failed, it didnt brake the input shaft it seized the std stator bearing on the input shaft & the E clutchers & steels although had heat marks all over would have gone a bit longer.

So Allan run the e85 tune & go have a play .....

cheers

joe.

• Like 1