Pbr Rear Brakes

First Turbo

• Member For: 9y 7m 6d

I'm about to fit the 328 mm rear brakes to my FG ute, two questions.

Do I need a new bracket for the calipers or will the old one do.

Also does anyone have recommendations for some good braided lines for the setup?

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Yeah that's an important point. I thought it looked OK when I fitted mine and drove around with a funny squeal for a few days, only audible from in car when next to walls at first so I thought it was sweet on the evening test drive in the hills where I live. Made a nice score on the rotor!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Member For: 3y 7m 2d

Thought I'd post here instead of opening a new thread, I understand you need to trim the backing plate on the rears prior to installing the PBR calipers. Just wanted to query what this thing actually does and how much I should be looking to take off it? Like, if I cut it with 5mm clearance to the caliper have I gone too far or if I leave 5mm of it left on the axle have I not cut back far enough?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

The backing plate and caliper don't move in relation to each other so you don't need heaps of clearance. 5-10mm is probably pretty good. You just don't want much opportunity for a rock to get wedged in there.

Then just file of the sharp edge and give it a squirt with paint to prevent rust.

Thought I had a pic of mine but can't find it unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, had the PBR upgrade fitted as part of a service today and have now subsequently had an issue with the DSC. When I accelerate hard to break traction, the DSC will intervene but then in five seconds or so will register a fault and show the warning light on the dash. If I turn the car off the warning light goes away, but the error will re-appear if the DSC has to intervene again. 

Is there a calibration that's required to be completed after installing the PBRs? I'm assuming that the DSC may not be seeing the response that it's inputs are programmed to achieve due to the bigger brakes and is showing a warning because of that. 

Brake set up was PBR rear calipers + DBA T3s + Project MU pads and it's on an FG MKII Turbo sedan.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Yeah, your DSC calibration is off now that you've changed the brakes. Just turn the DSC off if you're going to break traction and leave DSC to handle it when you're not intending to break traction.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, was worried that was going to be the answer haha

If I went all out and got a set of 4 pot Brembos on the front to match the set up on HWP cars, how easy is it to re-calibrate the DSC? Assuming Ford has a unique calibration for that set up.